Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Scooters and mopeds

Old 11-18-2006, 01:18 PM
duder
d00d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scooters and mopeds

So, I was riding down a back road the other day and I see what looks like another bike (something UJMish out of the 80's) coming at me. As I extend the wave, I realize it is actually a moped.

Now I don't have a problem with people that ride mopeds, but it got me to thinking. What are motorcycle rider's views of people on mopeds/scooters and extending them a wave or even riding with them?

I'm not really a discriminatory waver,etc. , but I've ridden a moped and they take almost no skill to be able to handle on the road. Obviously, bikes take a lot more skill to be able to ride. As far as scooters, I've never ridden one so I can't say, but they still don't look like they'de be at the difficulty level of motorcycles.

So what do you guys think? Are moped/scooter riders your fellow brothers and sisters who just haven't moved up yet or are they assholes for backing up traffic by going slow as dog shit on a 4 lane highway?

Or other: (fill in the blank)
Old 11-18-2006, 02:01 PM
xp1ik05
Registered Member

xp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these partsxp1ik05 is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Scooters and mopeds

i think 2 wheels is 2 wheels, they just dont like going fast i guess???
Old 11-18-2006, 03:11 PM
xshanex
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

too many of them are driven by old assholes who lost their licenses for DUI's. too many of them are punk ass kids riding around without helmets like its a bicycle

it's rare to meet legit scooter riders
Old 11-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

being a rider that has basically given up sport bikes because i found out how awesome scooters are at first i thought "yea they are absolutely our brothers" but then i thought about it, and i'm like 1% of scooter riders...

like you said most of them are riding them because they lost their license, can't afford a car, or as is the craze around my area, riding a moped only because its the cool thing to do if your a scenester, so most of them don't ride them because they want to, they just can't afford anything else or are just buying into a scene and have no passion for 2 wheels... so at the same time i think scooters are the shit and ride one daily, i still look down on most other people on scooters and especially mopeds because they are generally pretty damn wierd or scenester losers

but i get tons of waves from other people on real motorcycles... i think though whatever reason they are on a moped or scooter its still better than not being on one, it makes more people look out for them
Old 11-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Grease Monkey
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
being a rider that has basically given up sport bikes because i found out how awesome scooters are at first i thought "yea they are absolutely our brothers" but then i thought about it, and i'm like 1% of scooter riders...

like you said most of them are riding them because they lost their license, can't afford a car, or as is the craze around my area, riding a moped only because its the cool thing to do if your a scenester, so most of them don't ride them because they want to, they just can't afford anything else or are just buying into a scene and have no passion for 2 wheels... so at the same time i think scooters are the shit and ride one daily, i still look down on most other people on scooters and especially mopeds because they are generally pretty damn wierd or scenester losers

but i get tons of waves from other people on real motorcycles... i think though whatever reason they are on a moped or scooter its still better than not being on one, it makes more people look out for them
What type of scooter do you ride?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

whats left of an '04 Yamaha Zuma... i've got a honda elite 80 too but ran it through like two feet of mud and it quit running, then it kind of got sacrificed at my birthday party so i gave it to my friend and said if he fixed it he could ride it and he did, but not before we broke into his garage and gave it a make over... the zuma i removed basically everything that isn't necessary for it to run, painted it flat black, and added some dirt bike hand guards, my other friends with them have gotten big bore cylinders and stuff, they can get fast as shit, mine does 50 downhill, theirs can get around 75mph, the only thing else i might do is an exhaust just to make some noise

like i said riding scooters is definetly the most fun thing i've done on two wheels, granted i live in the city, if i lived out where stuff is spaced out it wouldn't be as fun to ride, and a whole bunch of us that were into sport bikes before all got them, but even when i ride alone its a blast... its just great, you can't ride one of these things and take yourself serious at all, the cops don't care what you do on them, rolling up to sport bike spots on the weekend is funny especially for the people that don't know you and think your some kind of freak, and offroading mountain bike trails at 2 in the morning is the shit... i'd recommend anyone get one

both of them when i got them

Zuma now

elite dead

brought back to life

then there were some repercussions for painting his scooter pink

Last edited by Del La Sol 1320; 11-19-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 AM
nickyroo
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

Haha where'd you get your scooter from? It requires a standard motorcycle license correct?

I'm going to buy one sometime between December and March for spring semester. Down here everyone has a damn scooter. It makes a lot of sense if you're doing close proximity driving and looks like it's a lot of fun. We have an '06 Honda Ruckus at our farm that we scoot around on but it's more of an offroad type scooter (knobby tires) than I'd like to bring down here. Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

my friend some how got hooked up with this auction guy up in Philly that just buys scooters and dirt bikes, he had like 60 scooters so they went up with a trailer and bought like 15 of them, almost none of them ran but most just needed some fresh gas, carb clean, or an ignition switch since alot were theft recoveries. they sold all the chinese knock off things but we all kept the zumas for ourselves to ride.

for me its perfect for going to school, its either like $500 a year for a parking pass or you have to set aside 45 extra minutes to find parking, with the scooter i can just zip in and out of stopped traffic and basically park right up against my class room

i think it stock form the zuma doesn't require a license, anything under 50cc and 35mph doesn't require a license, insurance, registration, or plates. but these are unrestricted so they do about 50mph so technically its just like a motorcycle, but no one knows the law or the difference it seems, we've all gotten stoped countless times for doing stuff that would get you put in jal on a motorcycle and the cops pretty much just laugh at us and ask us how old we are, never ask for a license or inquire about the scooter's legality

the zuma is about the same thing as a ruckus, only the ruckus is a 4 stroke, the zuma is a two stroke, so given that they are both 50cc the zuma is going to be alot faster and lighter... zumas are great, about $1,500 for a good one and very upgradable, aprilias are bad ass but expensive, hondas are good but their 50's are for parking lots, not streets, the elite 80 is good and can be picked up for under a grand, any year is fine because they haven't changed in 20 years... also some of the chinese scooters are pretty nice, but its hard to tell whats good and whats crap with them

Last edited by Del La Sol 1320; 11-20-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
YeloBlitzEclips
Rice -4- Life

YeloBlitzEclips is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
whats left of an '04 Yamaha Zuma... i've got a honda elite 80 too but ran it through like two feet of mud and it quit running, then it kind of got sacrificed at my birthday party so i gave it to my friend and said if he fixed it he could ride it and he did, but not before we broke into his garage and gave it a make over... the zuma i removed basically everything that isn't necessary for it to run, painted it flat black, and added some dirt bike hand guards, my other friends with them have gotten big bore cylinders and stuff, they can get fast as shit, mine does 50 downhill, theirs can get around 75mph, the only thing else i might do is an exhaust just to make some noise

like i said riding scooters is definetly the most fun thing i've done on two wheels, granted i live in the city, if i lived out where stuff is spaced out it wouldn't be as fun to ride, and a whole bunch of us that were into sport bikes before all got them, but even when i ride alone its a blast... its just great, you can't ride one of these things and take yourself serious at all, the cops don't care what you do on them, rolling up to sport bike spots on the weekend is funny especially for the people that don't know you and think your some kind of freak, and offroading mountain bike trails at 2 in the morning is the shit... i'd recommend anyone get one
haha! sounds like me and my friends on our pocket bikes. i'm from blacksburg so we can actually ride them around town and do. i went to school every day in the summer and chained it up on the bike racks. apparently there is nothing more rediculous than a bunch of college, full-grown guys riding pocket bikes down the street to class.

ps: the girls loved it!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

haha yea i bet pocket bikes are a real blast too

theres a local moped gang in richmond whose moto is live fast, ride slow, i love it

Quick Reply: Scooters and mopeds