Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

One Cylinder Not Firing - KA24DE

Old 11-28-2010, 11:55 AM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft
Exclamation One Cylinder Not Firing - KA24DE

I figured I'd try and ask here, seeing as Zilvia tends to be filled with even more assholes than VaDriven, so here goes.

I recently came into possession of an s13 with a KA24DE, running smooth, no problems yadayadayada. After a little while, the stock fuel pump starts to go bad, stuttering and faulting at WOT, stuff like that, so I replaced it. Shortly after, I decided to Seafoam my car. Whether that was a good or bad choice, I don't care so don't bother giving me your opinion of that. End result, my car has one cylinder down, engine shakes like Michael J. Fox, burns oil like a motherfucker, and takes FOREVER to crank over when cold.

I decided to look into it, and when I pulled the cylinder 2 spark plug wire, there was no change. I replaced the spark plugs and wires, no change. Looking into the cylinder from the empty spark plug gap, there appears to be a good deal of oil and other matter resting in the bottom. Also, the tip of the plug was charred black and wet. I'm no master tech, but this appears to be an issue.

Parts are cheap for this motor, hell motors are cheap. I'm just looking for an exact answer for my problem and hopefully a solution so that I can go about fixing it ASAP.

Thanks in advance
lbs_ft

Last edited by lbs_ft; 11-28-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:24 PM
forced4gsix3
Registered Member

forced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Cylinder Not Firing - KA24DE

The new spark plug was black and wet? Did it smell like fuel? I can take a look at it. I'm still ready to put those valve stem seals in if you want me to.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:55 PM
83Stang5.0
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Call me f00l
Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Z33_Taxi
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

lolololololololololololol how unfortunate...op is a faggot dont help him

But for srsly Trendy:
Sounds like the fuel injector has failed, is completely plugged, or is not getting a signal to open.
I've never touched the injectors on a 240/350z, so here are some general suggestions that are applicable to pretty much any car.

If the wires reach, try swapping wires to the next fuel injector and see if the problem moves. Check for corrosion on the electrical connections. If the same cylinder still does not fire, that injector likely has to come out for cleaning/repair. Use a long stick or screwdriver as a stethoscope and see if you can hear it click open and shut while the car is running. Compare the sound to the other injectors. Pull it out and examine it. If it is dirty, pull them all and take/send them to a specialty shop for cleaning. Use new O-rings when you put them back in.

i dont know to much about ignition systems but if the plugs good and the coils good i would keep working your way back check the coil wires and what ever the wire plugs into the igniton module i think? do you have a multi-meter? check for proper voltage and resistance.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:04 PM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

nonono, sorry, the old spark plug was charred and black. the other three were obviously old and worn, but #2 was black and wet. I haven't checked the new one I swapped in, but I can guarantee that the plug is getting the spark. The cylinder is just fucked
Old 11-28-2010, 01:06 PM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi
lolololololololololololol how unfortunate...op is a faggot dont help him

But for srsly Trendy:
Sounds like the fuel injector has failed, is completely plugged, or is not getting a signal to open.
I've never touched the injectors on a 240/350z, so here are some general suggestions that are applicable to pretty much any car.

If the wires reach, try swapping wires to the next fuel injector and see if the problem moves. Check for corrosion on the electrical connections. If the same cylinder still does not fire, that injector likely has to come out for cleaning/repair. Use a long stick or screwdriver as a stethoscope and see if you can hear it click open and shut while the car is running. Compare the sound to the other injectors. Pull it out and examine it. If it is dirty, pull them all and take/send them to a specialty shop for cleaning. Use new O-rings when you put them back in.

i dont know to much about ignition systems but if the plugs good and the coils good i would keep working your way back check the coil wires and what ever the wire plugs into the igniton module i think? do you have a multi-meter? check for proper voltage and resistance.
Copy/paste much? lololol

I'm thinking its probably the fuel injectors. Again, I ran through everything with the spark plugs, and they're all new and performing perfectly fine. I guess I'll just toss some new injectors in, they probably cost like 45 cents haha
Old 11-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Z33_Taxi
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

well me and u thought it was that about a week ago...

copy and paste? that hurts...
Old 11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi
well me and u thought it was that about a week ago...

copy and paste? that hurts...
hahaha I already Googled that link so I recognized it... besides, you don't talk like that.

guess I'll just save up for some injectors... can't be more than $50 each.

oh, and its 'you and I' not 'me and you'

;]
Old 11-28-2010, 04:48 PM
forced4gsix3
Registered Member

forced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of spending a bunch of money on parts that could possibly be causing the problem why not diagnose it and fix only whats wrong? I have everything needed to diag your problem. If you don't want to deal with me then I'm sure one if not a few of your friends can figure it out.

It would suck to spend $200 bucks on injectors and not fix it. Then spend another $100 for an ECU. Only to find out after you paid somebody or a shop about a hundred bucks to perform a diag it was only a wiring issue. Basically a free fix if it's an easy find.

Good luck, hope it's a quick fix.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:50 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

trace,just bring the car to me...i have the tools to check and see if your injectors are getting pulse...and can swap injectors from one to another and see if the problem goes with it...

and ill give you a chair and you can stare at the caddy all day

Quick Reply: One Cylinder Not Firing - KA24DE