Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Autometer VS VDO gauges

Old 09-18-2004, 05:09 PM
mAydAy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mAydAy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Autometer VS VDO gauges

Hey guys -
I'm looking at buying some 2 1/16" gauges. I'm looking at the VDO Vision series and the Autometer Z series, mainly these two because they have a good clean face, aren't overly flashy, cheap, and good. Also, I want electrical gauges with analog displays (Digital/numeric displays are worthless on gauges for quick checks on how everything is....)
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them, and which people prefer. I know the VDO's aren't quite as widely used but VDO makes great, quality gauges.
I'm open to other suggestions if you have them but I can't afford anything like Defi's or anything, however nice that would be.

Thanks

-Andy
Old 09-19-2004, 06:32 AM
DrkIrny
KIRRA+MUGEN :)

DrkIrny will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Autometer VS VDO gauges

Originally Posted by mAydAy
Hey guys -
I'm looking at buying some 2 1/16" gauges. I'm looking at the VDO Vision series and the Autometer Z series, mainly these two because they have a good clean face, aren't overly flashy, cheap, and good. Also, I want electrical gauges with analog displays (Digital/numeric displays are worthless on gauges for quick checks on how everything is....)
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them, and which people prefer. I know the VDO's aren't quite as widely used but VDO makes great, quality gauges.
I'm open to other suggestions if you have them but I can't afford anything like Defi's or anything, however nice that would be.

Thanks

-Andy
vdo is a airplane guage i believe, i may be wrong. i wouldnt recomend autometer for boost if thats what ur thinking. if you have the money get the defi guages i promise you that you'll love them
Old 09-19-2004, 07:25 AM
DaLuded
f'n bat country son!

DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DrkIrny
vdo is a airplane guage i believe, i may be wrong. i wouldnt recomend autometer for boost if thats what ur thinking. if you have the money get the defi guages i promise you that you'll love them
I agree. I <3 my defi d-gauges
Old 09-19-2004, 01:07 PM
mAydAy
Registered Member

VDO makes automotive gauges, marine gauges, aeronautical gauges, lots of applications. Most European cars come (or used to come) with VDO gauges stock. They also sell lots of aftermarket gauges. Summit Racing carries them along with lots of other places.

I do LOVE Defi gauges but unless someone knows where I can get them for a bearable price I don't see how I can get them and an S-AFCII and Wideband o2 and Profec-B/AVC-R and finish up other things.

-Andy
Old 09-19-2004, 08:08 PM
zappas
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

vdo is a good gauge.

i'd take that over autometer hands down.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:34 AM
DrkIrny
KIRRA+MUGEN :)

DrkIrny will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by zappas
vdo is a good gauge.

i def agree with that i hate autometer
Old 09-20-2004, 08:44 AM
themacuser.org
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by zappas
I've used both in a number of vehicles, and VDO's are just plain nicer. BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes use VDO gauges for a reason.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:02 PM
mAydAy
Registered Member

Aight guys I was leaning towards VDO, especially since thats the stock gauges in my cars and they look much nicer, the only thing was that they don't make a fuel pressure gauge, but I'm going to buy a Norskog fuel pressure gauge anyways.
Thanks Guys! I'm going to order some VDO's soon!

-Andy