Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Recommendations for brake-pads

Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Slimsta Jimsta
Eat me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta
Default Recommendations for brake-pads

Well mine are about gone(never had to change them before), and i'm going autocrossing in a few weeks so i figured i'd post up about getting new ones.

It's for a 95 civic dx, non abs btw.

I want brake pads that are very streetable, but made with good performance in mind. I've never looked up brake pads before, so this is probably a "noob" question, and i don't care.

What would you all recommend that's in a fair pricerange? I've heard hawk makes good brake-pads, but that's about it.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng
Default Re: Recommendations for brake-pads

Axxis Metal Masters are decent if you want a street pad that's got a little more bite than stock ones.

Hawk definitely makes some good ones, just make sure you don't get the race ones, they need to be heat cycled and chew up rotors for breakfast.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:07 PM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i run the hawk seme mettalic pads on the civic and ran them on the teg as well, and the axxis semi's on my wrx,both great pads, the axxis seemed to spread more brake dust though so ive stuck with the hawk's.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:17 PM
split
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

I would say some Axxis ultimates, or some EBC green pads, I have run both and prefer the ultimates. good initial bite with no fade, you might want to upgrade you rotors too.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Slimsta Jimsta
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

Originally Posted by split
I would say some Axxis ultimates, or some EBC green pads, I have run both and prefer the ultimates. good initial bite with no fade, you might want to upgrade you rotors too.
yea, i plan on it soon, i just don't have the money right now to do it before november 20th(autocross date), so i wanna get what i can before that.

but since you mentioned rotors, what rotors do yall recommend, i had planned on just going with brembo blanks. I had heard good things about them on h-t, and have read that the brembo slotted/cross-drilled are a waste of money, any truth to that?

thanks for the help guys i appreciate it

edit: is there any special way of breaking in brake-pads, sorry for the dumb questions, i just haven't had the need to look it up before or ask about it, so that's my excuse for lack of knowledge in this area
Old 11-02-2005, 07:26 PM
EVOEatr
Toyota owner

EVOEatr has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Slimsta Jimsta
yea, i plan on it soon, i just don't have the money right now to do it before november 20th(autocross date), so i wanna get what i can before that.

but since you mentioned rotors, what rotors do yall recommend, i had planned on just going with brembo blanks. I had heard good things about them on h-t, and have read that the brembo slotted/cross-drilled are a waste of money, any truth to that?

thanks for the help guys i appreciate it

edit: is there any special way of breaking in brake-pads, sorry for the dumb questions, i just haven't had the need to look it up before or ask about it, so that's my excuse for lack of knowledge in this area
There is a way that most manufacturers recommend to break stuff in so read what you get.

Rotors depend on what you are willing to spend, but the crossdrilled and slotted are alot more hardcore than the blanks, so unless you're going to get hardcore break pads don't get them cause they'll eat up the pads in a few thousand miles.

For alot of autocross you might want to consider a cryo'd stock rotor cause they're cheap and you can go through them alot. So you can get a more aggressive pad.

...and of course SS lines and high temp fluid helps...
Old 11-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Slimsta Jimsta
Eat me.

Originally Posted by EVOEatr
There is a way that most manufacturers recommend to break stuff in so read what you get.

Rotors depend on what you are willing to spend, but the crossdrilled and slotted are alot more hardcore than the blanks, so unless you're going to get hardcore break pads don't get them cause they'll eat up the pads in a few thousand miles.

For alot of autocross you might want to consider a cryo'd stock rotor cause they're cheap and you can go through them alot. So you can get a more aggressive pad.

...and of course SS lines and high temp fluid helps...
I won't be doign autocross alot, it's near the end of the season for it i believe, eventually i'll get around to all the brake lines and stuff
Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 PM
mAydAy
Registered Member

mAydAy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hawk HPS
Axxis Ultimate
Old 11-02-2005, 07:42 PM
gear
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

Project Mu B-Force pads are badass... They go for about 80 bucks on ebay. They offer more of a bite then OE pads but can also take the elevated tempratures that sportier driving might induce.

As far as rotors go, Blanks are where its at. I wont go into it...but just do some research and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Motul makes nice brake fluid that you can use on the street/track. Its got a higher heat capacity then standard autozone garbage. Look into this as well.

ps: Forgot to mention. Anything that says organic on it is fucking junk. Organic pads dont last long and lose a lot of their stopping power after they heat up. Semi-metallic and Ceramic are both good materials for brake pads.

Last edited by gear; 11-02-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:53 PM
dave22
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Originally Posted by gear
Project Mu B-Force pads are badass...
And the dust is very light so it doesn't look as bad when you get it all over your wheels

Jimmy:

Brembo blanks
Motul RBF600 fluid
Cobalt GT-Sport pads

You may or may not want the SS lines. I don't like them myself. If you still feel like you need a stiffer pedal after doing the three things above, then give the lines a shot.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for brake-pads