Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Reckless driving ticket? How does that work?

Old 10-23-2003 | 05:29 PM
LSProven

LSProven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reckless driving ticket? How does that work?

Ok. I got a Reckless driving ticket alittle more than 4 months ago. Now I went to court for the ticket Aug sometime. I was sentenced to jail for 60 days, but only served 2 days and the 56 days were suspended because it is a misdemanor only misdemanor sentences are generally cut in half. This was in VA Beach.

On top of that my license was suspended/restricted for 2 months. I got it back on Oct.4th. Now today I just got a ticket in Chesapeake for not wear "Selt belt", and "Improper right lane turn". The cop was nice and understanding. He didn't get me for my Exhaust like I thought he would have. Chesapeake seems more linent on that part.

Anyhow, I was confused and told the cop if I get another ticket within 2years I will be going to jail to finish out the sentence. Now my mom is saying I'm done with all the probation and I can't go to jail for any of those 2 tickets I recieved. But for some reason I can't get the 2years out of my head. I could have sworn if you get a Reckless driving ticket you can't have any tickets what so ever, for a period of 6months-2years on your license after the conviction of the Reckless driving ticket.

Can someone clear this up for me?
Old 10-23-2003 | 05:41 PM
Slimsta Jimsta
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

holy shit man, i hope just for your sake you're gay.. or you're gonna be miserable for a while.. looks like jailtime for you pal..

J/K, i'm not really sure about that, i think if your probation is up.. then its completely done and over with..
Old 10-23-2003 | 07:05 PM
LSProven

The question I have is though, is there a probation period after you already got your regular license back?.

Or does the probation end when your suspended/restricted license end?.
Old 10-23-2003 | 07:38 PM
BlueEyez

BlueEyez is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the probation ends when your suspended/restricted license ends. When you got your reckless you got a 2 month restricted license which is also probation, since that time is over you should be good. With your 2 new tickets you should just pay and avoid court if you can, b/c depending on the judge if he sees that you just got off of probation he might give you driver improvement or a longer driving probation, which would be worse.
Old 10-24-2003 | 03:14 AM
LSProven

Ahh, thank you! Yeah I have until January 27th, if i choose to go to court. I'll just pay it off before hand.

I was thinking since my offenses are both pre-payble fines, if i paid before I went to court, they wouldn't send me a letter in the mail saying turn yourself in, or I wouldn't get a cop at my door arresting me either.

Thanks man, I appreciate it..
Old 10-24-2003 | 03:27 AM
totaled@100+
hybrid hatch

totaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these parts

when i got my reckless ticket i got 60 days but the judge suspended all 60 for 2 years. and my license was suspended for 90 days. but once i got my license back, i am still on probation. it depends on how long the judge gave you for your suspension. one guy i know had 3 years, i have 2. you might want to find out how long he gave you. if its more than the couple months, all i can say is good luck man!
Old 10-24-2003 | 03:48 AM
sargeek1975

sargeek1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Totaled@100 is right.

It all depends on the probation period the judge gave you. In my case I had ten days in jail suspended for a year. My license was revoked for 60 days. Once I got my license back I was still on probabtion. If I had gotten a ticket in my car for sneezing the wrong way I would have gone to jail for ten days when I went back to court.

60 days in jail seems really severe; I've never heard of it. It's usually ten days in jail and 60 day suspended/revoked license.

My advice: Get a lawyer. I did and he saved my ass last time I was in court. Got off scot free.
Old 10-24-2003 | 05:39 AM
AcuraGirl

AcuraGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Im curious how tickets work down there anyways. I got a ticket while visiting my fiancee, I was on 81N and was doing 83 in a 65, but he gave me a ticket for Driving to Endanger by means of speed...WTF is that? Do they not give just a normal speeding ticket? HAs anyone had this before? Since I will be in Maine for the court date I have to call and arrange something. The cop was cool, but Im curious how he pulled "driving to endanger" out of speeding, especially in a straight line, the only traffic around me was the two 18-wheelers I was trying to get by. So much for my clean record when I move down there.
Old 10-24-2003 | 06:12 AM
Skywalker
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

It depends on if you are on driving probation or not. I am on it for two years; any moving violation and I lose my license. DMV sent me this nice letter telling me I am in some delinquent driving program.
Old 10-24-2003 | 06:16 AM
Josepi
200HP/L

Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi

Wow richmond must be soft...I got DD for reckless...doing over 100...blah.

Quick Reply: Reckless driving ticket? How does that work?