Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Ford 9 inch rear end

Old 11-26-2008, 05:31 AM
buugiewuugie
Zombies found Waldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie
Default Ford 9 inch rear end

My cousin has a 76 Ford F-150. Comes with a 9 Inch read end. 4 speed with 4 wheel drive.

So he is driving down the road the other day and he hears a clunk in the drivetrain, but he doesnt know where it came from. Then the truck would it go anywhere. He pulls off to the side of the road. And locks in 4 wheel drive and creeps home. The truck will not go anywhere in 2 wheel drive. I believe it is the rear end. But I was thinking it could be the transfer case as well.

I am going to check fluids today. But what do you guys think it is? Rear end or the transfer case?

Also. I need some help finding a stock differential for the truck. I have found many diffs, but they are all modified racing diffs. Anyone know where to find one?

Last edited by buugiewuugie; 11-26-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 AM
QUICKVIII
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation
Default Re: Ford 9 inch rear end

Pull the drive shaft and try to turn the flange on the transfer case and the flange on the rear, if either one freewheels it will be in that unit. Parts are easy to find. I work for a salvage yard in Md and I can get you the parts. Call me Dave 1-800-441-5746.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:50 AM
JStab
Its Lightish Red

JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
My cousin has a 76 Ford F-150. Comes with a 9 Inch read end. 4 speed with 4 wheel drive.

So he is driving down the road the other day and he hears a clunk in the drivetrain, but he doesnt know where it came from. Then the truck would it go anywhere. He pulls off to the side of the road. And locks in 4 wheel drive and creeps home. The truck will not go anywhere in 2 wheel drive. I believe it is the rear end. But I was thinking it could be the transfer case as well.

I am going to check fluids today. But what do you guys think it is? Rear end or the transfer case?

Also. I need some help finding a stock differential for the truck. I have found many diffs, but they are all modified racing diffs. Anyone know where to find one?
best chance is junkyard. or ebay. anything you try and find online will most likely be nodular or beefed up and cost more than its worth for the application.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:37 PM
RCR Roscoe
Body In Trunk.

RCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond repute

definately sounds like you lost the rear end. the 9" is real easy to work with tho fortunately! you wont really need to remove the housing to completely replace the inner workings. just remove the rear brake drums and ul see 4 bolts retaining the axles. remove those on both sides, the axles slip right out! then the bolts holding the carrier in place under the truck. all the guts are now out. see what broke and replace with stuff from the junkyard. just be damn careful to make sure you got the exact same ratio going back in as coming out or you will tear all sorts of shit up in 4 wheel drive!!!

good luck!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 AM
buugiewuugie
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

how do I tell the difference between the ratio? Specifically what is on the truck now? I cant seem to find that information on the net.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:32 AM
JStab
Its Lightish Red

JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
how do I tell the difference between the ratio? Specifically what is on the truck now? I cant seem to find that information on the net.
Put a chalk mark on the tire, and on the driveshaft (like on the top of them so you can measure). Count how many times the drive shafts spins per 1 tire revolution. Thus is your gear ratio
Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 PM
cleckner04
fabricating is fun

cleckner04 is an unknown quantity at this point

to find the gear ratio just start counting teeth, ring gear to pinion gear. or on the (big) ring gear there might be some numbers on it.. take your wheels off and then pull them four bolts off at the back and the axles pop out. once they are out you can take the center section off. what most likely broke is the spider gears. if they broke then you will not need to get new gears. you will most likely have to shim it back together when you get all the parts fixed.