Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

auto x questions. serious questions

Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
captainsperry
VintageGashHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry
Question auto x questions. serious questions

lately i have wanted to find out some info about the auto x or amateur track racing. i know your car has to fit certain requirements but the most important thing i wanted to know is if the was a age limit. cause im 17 til January. i just want to have some safe fun doing more that a straight line. plus my car is slow as shit on a straight. i know some one here can help me out. all positive input is welcome
Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
bumada
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada
Default Re: auto x questions. serious questions

At most places, you have to have a parent sign a waiver for you to autocross under 18. The car doesnt have to meet too harsh of requirements. You just have to have good wheel bearings, battery tied down, everything out of the car including floor mats, the throttle has to be clear and free moving as well as the pedals, and your fluid has to be filled and clean, also need working seatbelts.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
getfast
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

You can autocross and do high performance driving events on roadcourses with NASA Mid-Atlantic at age 17, there is just a bit of extra paperwork and you will need a parent or legal guardian present. http://www.nasaracing.net

Next HPDE, Nov 7-8 @ Summit Point's 2-mile /10-turn main circuit: https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/925

Next autocross, Nov 22 @ Virginia Motorsports Park: https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/926

For either one, all your car needs to do is pass tech inspection:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/..._hpde_tech.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/n...ASA-X_Tech.pdf

You don't even need your own helmet! C'mon out and play...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Roundabout136
Registered Member

Roundabout136 is on a distinguished road

^ he wins.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 PM
captainsperry
VintageGashHunter

captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry captainsperry

dont want to sound douchey but i wouldnt fuck my shit up ? be sides if i run in to a wall or object of sorts.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM
BLU CIVIC
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

Originally Posted by captainsperry
dont want to sound douchey but i wouldnt fuck my shit up ? be sides if i run in to a wall or object of sorts.
huh

there are less risks driving on a closed course then there are driving down the street to Food Lion
Old 10-19-2009, 06:15 PM
vbspec
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

You will use a little oil, gas, rubber and brakes. But other than that if your car is safe on the street your good to go. Don't worry about anything other than having, fun speed will come with seat time.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:16 PM
getfast
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Sure, that's always a possibility, I won't lie to you and say it doesn't happen.

Although it is extremely rare at autocrosses, especially NASA-MA ones (we have a far better safety record than some other autocross groups around here, but that's another discussion entirely.)

Here's an idea... you're the driver, right? Drive the car within YOUR limits, no matter how low or high they may be, and no matter how fast or slow you go as a result. Don't take any risks and don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. THAT's the way to not hit anything.

Plus at Summit Point there would be an instructor in the car with you the whole time hopefully keeping you out of trouble. See "Group 1" here: http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm

Otherwise it'll just use up some tires/brakes/gas. Big deal, that stuff is meant to be replaced.

Last edited by getfast; 10-19-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
captainsperry
VintageGashHunter

ok i can deal... i want to watch some before a do. and maybe talk to you guys there with some key points i should know. on the 22nd how much is it to get in?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
getfast
at the track today?

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
huh

there are less risks driving on a closed course then there are driving down the street to Food Lion
^ this.

At least on a closed course the distractions are minimized, the cars are prepared/checked, and everyone is (theoretically) pointed in the same direction. Plus, not on a cell phone

Literally every time it rains in Richmond, someone stuffs a car into a wall on 195 between 64/95 and the Broad Street bridge. Usually it's a car with blown original suspension and/or bad tires and they're going too fast for conditions, hit one of the expansion joint areas and feel the car start to wiggle and feed in handfuls of steering, which puts them sideways, or even headfirst, into a concrete wall. You think that's really an accident? It's 100% avoidable. Come out to drive at one of these events and start discovering why.

Quick Reply: auto x questions. serious questions