Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Question about driving someone else's car..

Old 05-04-2005 | 07:52 AM
bensrex
RAWR!%!#%!#

bensrex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about driving someone else's car..

This might be an easy question, but I need to know for Friday. My friend has a Subaru RS with modified (but not loud) exhaust, and somewhat dark tint. It's also lowered, but not slammed or anything. I am going to be driving his car for 4 hours from Radford to NoVA (I-81, I-66). Now, if I get pulled over while driving his car... do I get the ticket for tinted windows or blah blah blah? Or does he get the ticket since it's his vehicle? I've always wondered this.. and now it kinda matters. Appreciate it.
Old 05-04-2005 | 07:54 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Question about driving someone else's car..

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the driver will get the ticket. I think there is some stipulation that if you drive a car, you are responsible for making sure it is legal.

Is the tint legal? If so, you probably don't have anything to worry about. Just drive like you have some sense and you should be fine.
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:19 AM
bensrex
RAWR!%!#%!#

He's from Delaware, so the tint is legal for Delaware. I can't remember what the percentage is. Oh well, I wasn't planning on speeding anyways or anything. This is the car in question:

As you can see, no front plate either (not required in Delaware). I can't afford another ticket.. but it's pretty necessary that I drive his car since he will have already driven 7 or 8 hours by the time he gets to me in Radford.
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:22 AM
Carter
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

I speak from experience.

the person driving the vehicle is responsible. you can try to explain to the officer the situation, some might be understanding. I've gotten 2 or 3 tickets by driving a friend's car that wasn't legal. you can get away with whatever is legal in the state the vehicle is registered in (front plate).
Old 05-04-2005 | 09:26 AM
bensrex
RAWR!%!#%!#

Yeah, he's not stupid enough to get tint that isn't legal. I think we'll be OK - thanks for the helpful responses.
Old 05-04-2005 | 10:26 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by bensrex
Yeah, he's not stupid enough to get tint that isn't legal. I think we'll be OK - thanks for the helpful responses.
So it's stupid to get illegal tint? lol..

I have 35% all the way around (minus windshield obviously). Never had any problems with it because I try not to attract too much attention whenever possible. That's really all it takes to stay out of trouble usually; Don't drive like a jackass and you'll be alright.

Like someone already said, if it's got Delaware plates, and it's registered in Delaware, you're not going to get a ticket for things that are illegal in VA but legal in DE just by passing through...
Old 05-04-2005 | 11:00 AM
bensrex
RAWR!%!#%!#

Yes, it is stupid to get illegal tint. Just like it's stupid to do anything else that would attract attention from cops.
Old 05-04-2005 | 12:05 PM
moooopar
Registered Member

moooopar is an unknown quantity at this point

If the car has Delaware tags don't worry about it.
Old 05-04-2005 | 12:47 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by bensrex
Yes, it is stupid to get illegal tint. Just like it's stupid to do anything else that would attract attention from cops.
Window tint doesn't attract attention unless you do something stupid, as I hinted at with my last comment. I've had compliments actually.. If you don't give them a reason to write you a ticket, they usually won't. There ARE exceptions, but like I said, I speak from experience.
Old 05-04-2005 | 01:18 PM
cootees
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Window tint doesn't attract attention unless you do something stupid, as I hinted at with my last comment. I've had compliments actually.. If you don't give them a reason to write you a ticket, they usually won't. There ARE exceptions, but like I said, I speak from experience.
One exception would be when someone tells you to not get too many tickets on the way home. Thank you Adam, I am still disturbed by that night.

Quick Reply: Question about driving someone else's car..