Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

gsr w/ itr cams wont srart

Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 AM
crizx
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crizx has disabled reputation
Default gsr w/ itr cams wont srart

ok by boy bent a few valves in his gsr b18c so we pulled the head and installed new supertech valves dual valve springs and itr cams.. reassembled the motor with a gates raceing timing belt new plugs msd wires cap and rotor.. with all this done the car wont start.. i readjusted the valves and timing and nothing... im getting spark and fuel but thats it no starting.. it will turn over but it shoots an occasional blue flame out the header... i took the timing belt off again reset the timing over and over and nothing... the car ran before we took it apart but now nothing.... im drained mentally on this ... anyone got any answers????
i also checked all vacuum lines and sensors no codes ....
Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 AM
cr1m3rat3z
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gsr w/ itr cams wont srart

Not 100% sure on this (I don't deal with b-series as often) but isn't there a ground somewhere on the head, if so, double check to make sure it's grounded securely. Outside of that, check fuses and listen for the main relay and fuel pump to engage when turning the key. I know you probably already have, but use a timing light to determine the position of the timing. Timing shouldn't have to be set over and over, there's only one position for the cams to match the crank - and that's with the timing marks pointing up with the number 1 cylinder at TDC. One more thing, that msd module, which model is it? Some came with internal coils while others run externally. Double check to see if your model matches your application.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 AM
crizx
Registered Member

thanks for the reply....
yeah all the msd matches up. it was running on the car before we disassembled everything.. we have a msd sci box with msd blaster 2 coil and msd 8mm wires.. we got spark at all 4 cyl.. i guess I should check the compression next huh!!! only thing left
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 AM
cleckner04
fabricating is fun

cleckner04 is an unknown quantity at this point

well how about you look at your cam gear marks. line them up. and the align the cranks again. once this is all done. take off your dizzy is aligned with the #1 plug wire. if its back fires like you said with the blue flame. it might just be a 180 degrees off. so you might want to check that. you want to check and see if its sparking at the TDC.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM
cr1m3rat3z
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute

^^ good point, the oem honda distributors can only go on one way but I'm not sure if MSD manufactures theirs to do the same. Checking the compression wouldn't hurt but unless your head gasket blew, you installed the head wrong, or you reused your old one - then compression shouldn't be an issue if you had proper compression before.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:26 AM
crizx
Registered Member

i was gonna check compression just for elimination purposes... i installed a new buddyclub racing head gasket and i didnt know there was a wrong way to install a head????
Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
lsegcoupe
Registered member

lsegcoupe has disabled reputation

my ls did this an it was the timing being 180 degress off. it was gettin spark but all the wrong time an it just kept backfireing
Old 04-09-2008, 03:44 AM
reddevil94
Droppin E-Thugs!!!!!

reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94 reddevil94

are the plug wires installed on the right cylinders? Might wanna check your wiring....and you might wanna check your fuel injector wire harness, and make sure they are color coded to the right injector....
Old 04-09-2008, 05:30 AM
cleckner04
fabricating is fun

cleckner04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by reddevil94
are the plug wires installed on the right cylinders? Might wanna check your wiring....and you might wanna check your fuel injector wire harness, and make sure they are color coded to the right injector....
speaking of plug wires. dont use the haynes manual. look at helms or something like that. i know there was a couple of people had problems that haynes couldnt tell you right. like the plug wires.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:11 AM
crizx
Registered Member

problem fixed!!!!!
it was the dizzy.. somehow the ears on the dizzy were reversed.. i switched the lil wheel on the end of the dist. reinstalled it and boom she fired up... and idled perfect....
thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: gsr w/ itr cams wont srart