Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

brake caliper seized

Old 07-03-2008, 01:07 PM
00si
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts
Default brake caliper seized

i have a 2000 civic si and the drivers side rear brake wore down faster than any other..installed new brakes and rotors and i smell the brakes and feel like its dragging..is it the caliper or ???????? if it is are there any other year integra or civic caliper that will work
Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: brake caliper seized

Might have some corrosion on the piston(s). My Honda knowledge is pretty much gone, but are there any self adjusters that need to be dialed back out?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Has a Focus

250 250 250

i'm not a honda guy, but since it seems to be 4w disc, it should just be floating on 1 or 2 guide pins. check these and the sleeves they ride on for excessive wear. i know on my cars (80's dodges) that the teflon impregnated boots wear and drag, causing the brake to not adjust on the pins. when it sticks, it presses the back brake pad and makes it drag.

also, check the flex lines to the caliper. there may be a one-way restriction in the line, which traps hydraulic pressure in that line, putting the brake on constantly.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:11 PM
honda rescue
Registered Member

honda rescue has disabled reputation

when you did the brakes was it really hard to compress the caliper and some auto parts stores carry a caliper rebuild kit for a couple bucks also i have never looked at one i am new to honda but have been a tech for a couple years did the piston have any slots or indentions where it pushes the pads those would indicate a screw type caliper which you would have to turn while you compress
Old 07-04-2008, 06:58 AM
95MustangGT
Registered Member

95MustangGT has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 00si
i have a 2000 civic si and the drivers side rear brake wore down faster than any other..installed new brakes and rotors and i smell the brakes and feel like its dragging..is it the caliper or ???????? if it is are there any other year integra or civic caliper that will work
having the same problem on my 99 SI. replaced the brake pads and now 2 weeks later my caliper is not releasing. after i drove it i got out and looked at the brake pad and it is pressed flush against the rotor. also this is my driver rear too.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:13 AM
club_xcursion
secret-asian-man!!

club_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to all

try check the mounting bracket, mine was doing the same and i replaced the caliper but it was still doing it. the mounting bracket where the 2 bolts hold the caliper on, has to sleeves where it goes back and forth,when they get rusted it holds the brakes on the caliper. mine was corroded up there and got a new one and fixed the prob

check those

Last edited by club_xcursion; 07-04-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:36 AM
honda rescue
Registered Member

the slots in the piston are to screw it in or at least it looks like it in the picture
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 AM
JAvenger
not a noob

JAvenger has disabled reputation

replace the caliper and check the slide pins. if you go to auto zone, they have factory replacement calipers (Nisin (sp)). and they are life time replacement.

(just incase you have another civic/teg with rear disc and they lock up, just take it back and they will replace it for free ;-)
Old 07-04-2008, 11:18 AM
club_xcursion
secret-asian-man!!

club_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to all

Originally Posted by honda rescue
the slots in the piston are to screw it in or at least it looks like it in the picture
yea they are supposed to slide back and forth but if they are siezed it will hold the pad on the rotor
Old 07-04-2008, 03:43 PM
honda rescue
Registered Member

no the slots on the end of the piston look like the ones on the ford, lexus, gm etc rears where you have to rotate the actual piston clockwise while compressing it auto zone sells a tool to do it that goes on the end of a 3/8 rachet it looks like a little cube with all different configurations of pins poking out

Quick Reply: brake caliper seized