Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

looking to get a job as mechanic

Old 05-25-2005, 08:06 PM
dj_celica
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dj_celica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking to get a job as mechanic

i'm just a beginner.. i do the usuall modding and maintenance on my car but never had real shop experience.

anywhere within 30 mins of lorton.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Hybrid AWD
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Re: looking to get a job as mechanic

advice i can give you is to get in with a newer dealership as an apprentice if you can. You will learn a lot, possibly get sent to school and not have to work in shitty conditions like most side shops.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:11 PM
dj_celica
Registered Member

yea i'm just trying to start as apprentice or "helper". make my way up from there
Old 05-25-2005, 08:21 PM
chinabuddie
whatever ho.

chinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these partschinabuddie is infamous around these parts

Mr.Spoiler in Manassas i think has some apprentice spots.. www.mrspoiler.com and they do VERY good body work. expensive, but very good.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:18 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

fairfax honda is hiring i believe
Old 05-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Stylin3

Stylin3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dj Celica- If i were you id take some courses at Nova Community College, I started going back to school this past January, I am also currently still in doing my summer semester. I started with Aut 100 which is intro to auto teaching you basics of automotive, How a shop works, Learning bout Natef, OSHA, ASE anything, learning to use a lift properly( you'd be surprised how many people do not know how to use a lift) Currently im taking Emissions and Diagnostics/and im also taking the Emissions Technician certified course. This fall i will continue my Diagnostic Repair certified course as well as Auto-EnginesI.

If you are looking to be ASE certified you can take any 8 tests depending what you want to be certified in such as engines/transmission/AC-Heating/Electronics/Suspension etc etc. But to be Master Technician you need to complete all 8 tests and have 2 years of experience. If you take the college courses they count as hourly experience which is good. Btw the ASE tests are given only two times a year.

If you plan on taking courses you might want to check with NOva and see if there are any summer classes left for auto 100 which is a prerequisite for all other courses. i beleive it is a 6 week course and are offered either the first half of the semester or the last half of the semester.

But like everyone here mentioned try and get an apprentice position or any position in an automotive dealership to learn acouple of things. You never know they may even pay for your training.

ANother thing you have to ask yourself is "Is this something you see yourself doing for a while?" Reason i ask is alot of people who want to learn automotives get intimidated almost because of the responsibilities that come with being a technician or the fact that we you are approached with a problem you dont want to look like you dont know what to do. If you are really interested and wanting to become a technician things will sink in you that you wont have a problem learning

Last edited by Stylin3; 05-26-2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:38 AM
dj_celica
Registered Member

i ordered ASE study books the other day.. a1-a8, L1. i plan on studying and taking the tests. but yea i heard u need 2 years experience or just get a master mech to sign the paper for u to actually get certified.

i'll check out fairfax honda today
Old 05-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Stylin3

where did you order your books from may i ask. Its teh Mitchell books correct. Best of luck my friend. I would study myself and just take the test but i really want a grasp of what the hell im doing plus i want hands on experience before entering the real automotive field(hence why i am in school). WHen you take your test you will notice alot of "Technician A is doing this and Technician B is doing another who is correct?" kind of questions. They can be very tricky so i suggest you really read the questions. They sometimes have 2 correct answers but are only looking for the best one.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:01 PM
slosatty
Registered Member

slosatty has disabled reputation

Hey Stylin3 Do i know you?I just finished the whole Auto program at Manassas. I drove a green saturn, i dont know if we went there at the same time, but its good to know that ppl are takin the classes.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Stylin3

Naw i go to the Nova in Alexandria, But what classes total have you taken in regards to automotive. So far ive done Aut 100, currently im doing aut 215/225 which are Emissions and diagnostics(full summer semester/Certification Emissions course(4 week course) Next fall ill be doing aut226 which i think is the certified Diagnostic repair course(to be licensed) maybe Auto Engines1 as well

Quick Reply: looking to get a job as mechanic