Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

looking for local technical help

Old 07-23-2003, 01:29 PM
VT Remmy
Dork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VT Remmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for local technical help

as of this afternoon my car has been doing some crazy shit and i need some help. the problem started when i would be starting to go in first gear and id be letting off the clutch and giving it gas and the car would shutter and shake as if it were undergoing some serious wheel hop (but its not wheel hop). after driving it around a little longer it became difficult to shift through the gears and i grinded my fourth gear sincro a couple of times out on 460. then on my way home the car would not shift gears, at all. i made it from 460 to collegiate suites without leaving 3rd gear. so when i got back in the parking lot i came to a stop in 3rd gear with the clutch down and i could feel the rpms sagging, like the clutch was being let out, and when i took the car out of gear the rpms rose back up to a normal idle.

so, with these symptoms being discribed, what do you think is the matter. could it just be that im running low on transmission fluid? or is my clutch starting to go? i wouldnt think the clutch is starting to go cause its grabbing even when the pedel is depressed.

ive never had any problems with my cars clutch or transmission untill this afternoon, btw its the stock clutch on about 95k miles. any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:35 PM
JKim
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

most likely a tranny problem. i would go get it checked out. 95k on a stock clutch (on a car that is driven daily and hard) will be worn out by now. gluck
Old 07-23-2003, 02:09 PM
VT Remmy
Dork

im really hoping im not going to need the clutch replaced, it hasnt ever slipped or anything. any shops in the area that will do some free diagnostic work?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Goofynick6
BOOST!

Goofynick6 is an unknown quantity at this point

crankwalk

lol
Old 07-23-2003, 03:41 PM
JKim
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

hahaha nick thats horrible.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Rguy
God

Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like something in the tranny for sure, probably a bad throwout bearing maybe?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:25 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

sounds like one of the springs in the clutch disc came out, and is jammed between the flywheel and the clutch plate. common on hondas......if you can get it to South Main Auto, ask for me, and i will look at it for you. but be prepared to do a clutch...its time.......

the clutch pedal feels the same, right? makin sure it aint a hydraulic problem. but, the way you described it...its the clutch

JOEY
Old 07-23-2003, 10:25 PM
srt4hokie
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Lets say I am getting of 460 at the exit near downtown Blacksburg, would I go right or left on main st to get to the shop?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:27 PM
98WS6LS1
Under the Hood

98WS6LS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say your springs in your friction disc went south in your clutch, just as stated above. just my .oo2 cents.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:59 AM
VT Remmy
Dork

thanks for the input guys, im gonna get under the car and check the tranny fluid this weekend to make sure it isnt something minor... if that doesnt take care of it ill try to limp it or tow it over to south main so you can look at it joey. i appreciate the input guys.

Quick Reply: looking for local technical help