Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

3rd & 5th gears popping out

Old 06-05-2004, 07:52 PM
gpeele
still alive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele
Default 3rd & 5th gears popping out

well just got my car back after a b16 swap. nothing special done just a direct swap and some type r cams with aem gears installed. well 3rd likes to pop out under acceleration and fifth just wont keep it self in for more than like 5 seconds. it was working fine for like a half hour before it started acting up like this. anyone know wazzup. it was supposedly a new motor so i dont know whats going on. oh yeah my check engine light keeps coming on and off but i don't notice any difference in the performance when its on, could the cams be causing this.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:59 PM
sikkcrx
AKA DEATH TRAP

sikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these parts
Default Re: 3rd & 5th gears popping out

Originally Posted by CRXDriver
well just got my car back after a b16 swap. nothing special done just a direct swap and some type r cams with aem gears installed. well 3rd likes to pop out under acceleration and fifth just wont keep it self in for more than like 5 seconds. it was working fine for like a half hour before it started acting up like this. anyone know wazzup. it was supposedly a new motor so i dont know whats going on. oh yeah my check engine light keeps coming on and off but i don't notice any difference in the performance when its on, could the cams be causing this.

My check engine light does the same thing. i can't rev past 7000rpm until the light comes on. i think its my ecu it had a dent in it when it came with the swap.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Runnin13s
Registered Member

Runnin13s is on a distinguished road

what code is it throwing ??? most likely it is the knock sensor cuz thats what mine use to always throw so i just tapped it off to a ground and it stopped throwing codes and as for ur gears .iono
Old 06-05-2004, 08:37 PM
sikkcrx
AKA DEATH TRAP

sikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these partssikkcrx is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Runnin13s
what code is it throwing ??? most likely it is the knock sensor cuz thats what mine use to always throw so i just tapped it off to a ground and it stopped throwing codes and as for ur gears .iono

yup mine is the knock sensor.pm me with more details on how to fix the problem.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:24 PM
gpeele
still alive

gonna look at the haynes and see how to ground this thing out, it only seems to come on when vtec isn't engaged, but when its engaged (traveling on the highway in 4th) for a while thats when te light goes out. 3rd seems to pop out under light load now like when im just cruising.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:01 PM
MA-HALF-E
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Check to make sure your motor mounts are still in good shape, and check out your shift linkage. Make sure everything's where it needs to be and tightened down.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:10 PM
gpeele
still alive

it might be the linkage, the motor mounts are brand new though, ill give everything another look over to make sure its all tight. also the car vibrates alot the lower the rpms are, would that have anything to do with this?
Old 06-06-2004, 02:03 PM
sk8rmike
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

Worst case scenario the syncros or gears are fubar'd......
Old 06-07-2004, 07:57 AM
xexjh09
Back in!!

xexjh09 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 5th gear did that, took it apart and there were no teeth on the sproket anymore... Check the cheap stuff first before you take the tranny apart.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Woodrow
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by sk8rmike
Worst case scenario the syncros or gears are fubar'd......
Or the shift forks.

Quick Reply: 3rd & 5th gears popping out