Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

honda d16a6 ticking question

Old 04-07-2004, 08:38 PM
ProjektHatch
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProjektHatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default honda d16a6 ticking question

was just wondering if a wobbly timing belt can cause the engine to tick, i took my cam gear cover off, and noticed the timing belt had alot of play, i mean it flops like a siv, and the engine ticks..... or should i just assume its head related? I figured it would be easier to pull the lower belt cover off to access the tensioner and re-adjust it (even tho i hear its a pain) rather than rebuilding the head. last time i had the valve cover off, all the springs looked to be seated properly, even though i know my guide seals are bad since i have a small oil discharge from the exhaust manifold where it mounts to the head from the middle 2 cylinders... so what would you suggesT? start with the timing?
Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM
urvtecs2slo
i like prom.

urvtecs2slo has disabled reputation
Default Re: honda d16a6 ticking question

if its a ticking, id say you need a valve adjustment.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Stillpushin
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like valves tapping to me.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:04 AM
ProjektHatch
Banned

k, is there any simple way to check them and adjust them myself, or would that be a shop job?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:03 AM
HORNY4ZORNY
takin it all

HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY

feeler guages, the specs are on your hood if you have the original hood, if not get a book
Old 04-08-2004, 05:49 AM
CHAHONDA
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by ProjektHatch
k, is there any simple way to check them and adjust them myself, or would that be a shop job?
yup you need to have the valves adjusted. sounds like you need a valve cover gasket and to tighten the timing belt as well. i can do all of this at my shop. it doesnt take very long, fairly easy i can make it sound like it did when it was new
Old 04-08-2004, 04:08 PM
ProjektHatch
Banned

well i dont have alot of money, that is why i was trying to do it myself. i am almost sure if the head has to be pulled off the piston rings should be replaced also...... I just want it to be decent for now, until i can afford the swap... I have a spare head with all internals still in it, its int he same condition as my head, maybe better, and needs new valve seals also, i found those for 32.00 on the net, how much would you charge just to do the head? i can put it on and all that myself, unless you need the engine to see the TDC of the piston
Old 04-08-2004, 04:11 PM
ProjektHatch
Banned

also, how easy would it be to polish the intake manifold? i have a dremel and a bore/honer ... would it be worth my time to polish it up and maybe just enough to open it up a bit for better flow? is it possible?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:50 AM
CHAHONDA
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by ProjektHatch
well i dont have alot of money, that is why i was trying to do it myself. i am almost sure if the head has to be pulled off the piston rings should be replaced also...... I just want it to be decent for now, until i can afford the swap... I have a spare head with all internals still in it, its int he same condition as my head, maybe better, and needs new valve seals also, i found those for 32.00 on the net, how much would you charge just to do the head? i can put it on and all that myself, unless you need the engine to see the TDC of the piston
i have a rebuilt head that ill sell you real cheap. gimme a call if you are interested. i can install it for you as well 567-4666 im mike