Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

info needed BMW Z4

Old 04-14-2007, 04:22 PM
TheGoaT
Pimpin is Easy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheGoaT TheGoaT TheGoaT TheGoaT TheGoaT TheGoaT TheGoaT
Default info needed BMW Z4

Trying to prove my point in a debate with some co workers of mine. 2 guys one driving a 2004 BMW Z4 2.5l and the other a 2004 Acura TL 3.2l both claim how easily they beat up on Mustang GTs and generally talk about how fast their cars are. I found some dyno information on the TL no problem, but Im having a hard time finding dyno info on the Z4. I know the 2.5l has 184hp and the 3.0l has 225 rated from the factory, but does anyone have any links to dynographs or owners post on the Z4?
Old 04-14-2007, 05:00 PM
BigBake
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all
Default Re: info needed BMW Z4

The greatest attribute of a Z4 is its weight. With that being said, a 2.5l is not going to give a GT a run for its money. Now a 3.0l on the other hand is quite strong. The inline 6 has some great torque and combine that with a fast reving engine in a light car and it is pretty quick. Depending on the year of GT and wether it is an auto or not, I can run a GT with my 330i and it weighs in at 3500lbs. Now imagine a car with the same exact engine weighing nearly 500lbs less and you get the picture. I know most 3.0l put down around 190rwhp, expect a little more for a sport package equipped car with tuning, cam, and exhuast, close to 200rwhp. The torque is great though, I was quite surprised to the torque of the inline 6. It nearly mirrors a V8 engine, over 190rwtq.
If they are racing auto equipped GT's I can see them rolling them, but a manual equipped GT, it would be drivers race, with the GT pulling at the end, especially anything from 99 on up. The problem I have found with most BMW drivers that drag race, they do not really "drag race". Most are impropmtu roll races that are usually in favorable rpm ranges for the BMW owner.
Good luck convincing them otherwise. Over on a BMW entusiast website it is corroded with crap races in which the cars that these people claim to race would just destroy them, but somehow it ends up being the other way. A good example, a guy claims his M3 with a dry 125 shot(crankshaft rated) put over 3 car lengths on a Camaro SS that had headers, intake, chipped, camshaft, and TNT wet kit jetted at 150. Of course I laughed at the "chipped" part, but I thought it was freakin hilariuos that a car that puts down nearly 400rwhp on motor alone with a wet kit rated at 150rwhp got beat by a car that dynoed barely 400rwhp on the juice. I pointed out that my car stock with the same wet kit put down 477rwhp and nearly 500ft lbs of torque at the wheels. I would have believed the story if it was just a cam only car.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:05 PM
TheGoaT
Pimpin is Easy

ya I just wanted some dyno info so I could see what kind of drivetrain loss they have based on their rated HP. He only has the 2.5 which is making alot less HP than the 3.0.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:12 PM
BigBake
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheGoaT
ya I just wanted some dyno info so I could see what kind of drivetrain loss they have based on their rated HP. He only has the 2.5 which is making alot less HP than the 3.0.
Yeah, the 2.5l will barely pull over 145rwhp. In fact I have seen one with header, intake, and tune barely make over 158rwhp. These engines do not gain a whole lot with bolt on mods, and even camshaft swaps, but do respond well to FI.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:13 PM
TheGoaT
Pimpin is Easy

you have any links to any dyno info on either the 2.5 or 3.0? I havent been able to find anything.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 PM
BigBake
OG Alumni

you have any links to any dyno info on either the 2.5 or 3.0? I havent been able to find anything.
Here is a 325, the drivetrain is exactly the same, this one is a steptronic transmission:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=10

and here is bunch of different BMW's to sift through. It is a site that does supercharging but they have a ton of graphs to look at.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/dyno/dyno.php
Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Swampass
Registered Member

Swampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2002 325i with the same 184hp 2.5 liter (5speed)

curb weight is listed for the 4 dr 325i as 3153

the Z4 has a curb weight listed of 2998.

155lbs between the two.

My 325i is not a rocket. It's not even quick. It's very smooth and has an awesome ride, but a performance car it is not. It's not beating mustangs at anything. It's slower than the old 88 stock fox body mustang I used to drive, and that was automatic with a bajillion miles on it.

When I took my 325i in to have the window regulator replaced, I got a TL as a loaner. That car was much quicker than the 325i. I could see it giving a run to an older fox body style that was mostly stock, but again, it didn't make me feel like I was going out to kick some ass when I mashed the gas on it.

Both the Z4 and TL are nice cars, but they are shittin' you on beating mustangs IMO. My Mazda3 feel considerably quicker and faster than the TL, and I'd really pick and choose my mustang races carefully. Those cars, especially the newer ones, are no joke.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 AM
TheGoaT
Pimpin is Easy

ya I know they are slower, I was just looking for something I could print out and hold in front of their faces. Your mazda3 is faster than a TL.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:46 AM
BigBake
OG Alumni

ya I know they are slower, I was just looking for something I could print out and hold in front of their faces. Your mazda3 is faster than a TL.
Not even worth the waste of time proving them wrong. I am telling you that most of these guys believe that BMW has designed the fastest cars ever. If they even got one thought about another car being faster in a straight line, they immediately throw in well the other car cannot hangout in the turns. Once you get there it turns into well I get more pussy in this car than you could possibly ever imagine. Trust me on this, some actually believe that the M3 is a "super car", and most believe it is an exotic.
I am sure you have had to have this conversation with them when you challenged them with your truck. First flag, "it wont hang with us in the turns." After that I am sure it was followed up with "besides it some type of "redneck" transportation." Followed after that with some remark of "Obviuosly a lower standard of quality." A retarded group of auto enthusiasts for the most part.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:12 AM
blah
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally Posted by BigBake
Not even worth the waste of time proving them wrong. I am telling you that most of these guys believe that BMW has designed the fastest cars ever. If they even got one thought about another car being faster in a straight line, they immediately throw in well the other car cannot hangout in the turns. Once you get there it turns into well I get more pussy in this car than you could possibly ever imagine. Trust me on this, some actually believe that the M3 is a "super car", and most believe it is an exotic.
I am sure you have had to have this conversation with them when you challenged them with your truck. First flag, "it wont hang with us in the turns." After that I am sure it was followed up with "besides it some type of "redneck" transportation." Followed after that with some remark of "Obviuosly a lower standard of quality." A retarded group of auto enthusiasts for the most part.
Sad truth. Hence why I don't really hang out with them.