Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

mr-2 shopping help

Old 01-28-2007, 08:30 AM
alphaq1888
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alphaq1888 has disabled reputation
Default mr-2 shopping help

hey guys,
since I've had so much help with my vr-4 problem, I thought I might try once more. listed are two mr-2's,

A)
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...268195033.html

&

B)
https://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156719

Tell me what you think each has it's quirks, and if you want to throw something in the mix go ahead. I want to get a car ready for the summer so, again guys help me out.
Thanks in advance
Hazem
Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 AM
blackout
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Re: mr-2 shopping help

oh my God. 6500 for a 91 with 128k??? not sure what these things are going for but that sounds like a fucking ripoff. if those are the only two available though i guess i would have to go with the first one... although i personally hate yellow on most cars- that mr2 included.

the second one seems like a bad deal. still too much money for a 15 year old car with that much mileage, and if i'm not mistaken these cars are notorious for blowing head gaskets so that's probably where the whole 'coolant leak' thing comes from.

just seems like you could do so much better for 6500...
Old 01-28-2007, 08:45 AM
alphaq1888
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blackout
oh my God. 6500 for a 91 with 128k??? not sure what these things are going for but that sounds like a fucking ripoff. if those are the only two available though i guess i would have to go with the first one... although i personally hate yellow on most cars- that mr2 included.

the second one seems like a bad deal. still too much money for a 15 year old car with that much mileage, and if i'm not mistaken these cars are notorious for blowing head gaskets so that's probably where the whole 'coolant leak' thing comes from.

like what for example: taking ideas need a new wip
Old 01-28-2007, 08:50 AM
The Wok
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

This is why I didn't get another MKII - they're fucking expensive.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 AM
blackout
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by alphaq1888
like what for example: taking ideas need a new wip
the best way to answer that is to first know what exactly it is you want out of your next car. don't be afraid to be descriptive, we're all as bored as possible to be posting on this board in the first place, i don't mind reading a few paragraphs if there's a chance i can help somebody out. obviously you're considering modding it, ok... for what purpose? just to have a fun car for the daily commute, or do you enjoy a trip to the track every now and then? and what type of racing are you mostly interested in? drag, auto-x, road racing, all of the above? also, what kind of experience do you have with working on cars, and what is your HONEST budget of what type of money you'll be willing to put into the car to get it where you want?

also throw in there if you have any particular bias towards a particular manufacturer or place of origin. also include any particular requirements... you're looking at an mr2 so i'm pretty sure there probably wouldn't be any need for extra room, but would you want rwd as opposed to awd as opposed to fwd, or 4 cylinders as opposed to 6 as opposed to 8, etc. etc.

there are plenty of variables when it comes to picking a car, it would help if you narrowed it down a bit. and who knows, maybe an mr2 would be perfect for you? just throw out your input and i'll give you some options.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Turbox3

Turbox3 has disabled reputation

if i'm not mistaken these cars are notorious for blowing head gaskets
You're mistaken.

And Mr2T's hold their value quite well since there weren't a lot of them out there and there aren't a lot of other mid-engine options for car shoppers. I'm planning on selling my '93T soon and will be asking in the 14-15k range, but it's a hardtop (less than 30 '93 hardtops in the US), so that bumps the price up a bit.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:41 AM
alphaq1888
Registered Member

the best way to answer that is to first know what exactly it is you want out of your next car. don't be afraid to be descriptive, we're all as bored as possible to be posting on this board in the first place, i don't mind reading a few paragraphs if there's a chance i can help somebody out. obviously you're considering modding it, ok... for what purpose? just to have a fun car for the daily commute, or do you enjoy a trip to the track every now and then? and what type of racing are you mostly interested in? drag, auto-x, road racing, all of the above? also, what kind of experience do you have with working on cars, and what is your HONEST budget of what type of money you'll be willing to put into the car to get it where you want?

also throw in there if you have any particular bias towards a particular manufacturer or place of origin. also include any particular requirements... you're looking at an mr2 so i'm pretty sure there probably wouldn't be any need for extra room, but would you want rwd as opposed to awd as opposed to fwd, or 4 cylinders as opposed to 6 as opposed to 8, etc. etc.

there are plenty of variables when it comes to picking a car, it would help if you narrowed it down a bit. and who knows, maybe an mr2 would be perfect for you? just throw out your input and i'll give you some options.

well i had a 93 prelude which i did an jdm h22a swap, fun but wrecked it.
personally i wouldn't mind any drivetrain...but in the back of my mind i really do want rwd. I want a good dd but i also want to be able to have some fun. i would do minor mods at first then eventually get new turbo( after i did internals). I'm persoanlly a road racer, but i would luv to learn how 2 drift(learning on cuz's 240...lol). I also would'nt mind really a v8 just cause the throttle responce, but probably couldn't afford gas for it(lol). I have about 8k to play with at most. Gimme some input dude, what do you think.
By the way the lude was probably my fav(prolly bc it was ma first car). To be honest I would like to put some of my friends in their place. (one drives an srt-4, another wrx(non sti), another gti(1.8t), all lightly modded and i want to seriously put them in there place. Thanks in advance though for helping me
Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 AM
alphaq1888
Registered Member

another reason bc all they do is talk trash and honestly ive been driving since i was about 9, learned stick shift when i was 11. I can outdrive them in my pathfinder(lol).
Old 01-28-2007, 12:38 PM
blackout
master debater

haha, you're pretty open minded then... also keep in mind that these are my recommendations, everyone else may not agree with them, and i haven't personally owned most of these cars so i'm not an EXPERT, but i do know a few things.

ok, as far as drifting is concerned you can rule out the mr2. the weight distribution and short wheelbase is highly unfavorable for drifting... but then again i don't think there are too many cars out there that can even come close to touching a 240 as far as bang for the buck or overall potential with drifting. but seriously, i have never before witnessed an mr2 at a drift event. i suppose it's possible, but it would be fighting an uphill battle.

the shit-talking from the friends could easily be put to rest with an ls1 v8 (or possibly mustang). for 8k you could find a 98+ camaro or firebird, run mid-low 13s stock, and unlimited potential to go fast in a straight line. however, you probably wouldn't see too many camaros or firebirds at vir track meets, so the road racing potential would be compromised. but the good news is they get relatively good (~25+ mpg) gas mileage stock. overall great cars.

something you could consider, and i may get some shit for this because of my initial bias, is a 240. you could easily find one already swapped for 8k, or get one stock for 2-4k and do all the work yourself (recommended). if you want instant gratification though, just get one already done up, there are some good deals out there. i personally am particular to the s13 body style, and they are cheaper and easier to find and generally more popular for parts sourcing purposes, but you could find a swapped s14 for 8k if you look hard enough. and what's bad to say about these cars if they're done right? ka-t or sr, both have tons of potential, can't be touched for drifting, aren't track-killers without some serious work but are still a blast to drive, and from my personal experience with 2 separate s13s, extremely reliable. i really think you should look into a swapped 240, i think you would be very happy if you went that route. if i still had mine i'd take you for a spin, maybe let you drive it, but alas i sold mine for an e36 m3 less than a month ago. if i were you i'd try to find somebody who has one and see if they'd be willing to do the same... there are tons of 240 guys on these boards.

other than that, you've already done the honda thing, most of the newer cars are a touch out of your price range, and i can't with a clear conscience recommend you buying a dsm. there are plenty of other ways you could go, these are just a few...

also if you could deal with the 'bitch-car' references i would say to also consider a miata. boost these things and their whole persona changes...

just do LOTS of research and make sure you're 100% confident with your decision and you'll find something.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
BeefCake
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

a real clean well kept 91/92 goes for about that. 93-95 in perfect condition usually starts at 9 or so. theres no headgasket issue with them either n the motors can handle a ton, well over 400 on stock internals.
If you are interested in MR2s i'll sell you mine. 320-330whp.

Quick Reply: mr-2 shopping help