Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

a good lawyer for blacksburg area?

Old 07-06-2005, 07:30 AM
rquest77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rquest77 has disabled reputation
Default a good lawyer for blacksburg area?

i got a ticket a few months ago (reckless on south main), pretty stupid of me to be speeding so much, but i got what i deserved and now I have to go to court. i was clocked at 89 in a 45, and this is my second ticket ever (first was in 2002, regular speeding ticket on 81). i'm an out of state student (maryland driver license), but i have to go to court in blacksburg.

so my question is, who's the best lawyer i can hire to keep my ass out of jail? currently i'm thinking about this lawyer named harriet dorsey, she says she's been working in the blacksburg court for 28 years and knows the judge and stuff like that. please, if anyone here has any experience with speeding tickets in blacksburg, help me out thanks! also, that lawyer quoted me 500 for her services, does this sound about right? the penalities i'm facing are a suspended license and possibly a few days of jail time i believe.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: a good lawyer for blacksburg area?

You're not going to go to jail over your second speeding ticket. If you had been drunk, maybe. But not just for speeding.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:14 AM
rquest77

but it's a reckless. and i was going 89 in a 45. isn't virginia really strict on stuff like that?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Nope. Especially if you go in and act like a nice person. "Yes, sir" and "no, sir" will work wonders. Don't try to pull any of that "getting off on a technicality stuff". They hate that. Go in and admit you were wrong, and they may even lower it for you.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Tonka Toy
2004 Danceoff Champ

Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy

Yes, VA is very strict on this and you can get jail time for wreckless driving. It is a class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and up to a $2500 fine. As for the price of the lawyer, consider the offense and punishment, it does not seem to outrageous. Maybe a little high for one offense but why take the risk of jail time versus 500 bucks.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tonka Toy
Yes, VA is very strict on this and you can get jail time for wreckless driving. It is a class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and up to a $2500 fine. As for the price of the lawyer, consider the offense and punishment, it does not seem to outrageous. Maybe a little high for one offense but why take the risk of jail time versus 500 bucks.
Yes, you can go to jail. But I haven't heard of anyone going to jail for one speeding ticket. I know a person who has 3 wreckless driving tickets in the past year. He lost his license for 6 months, but didn't go to jail.

Yes, it's a possibility, but I still say if you go in, act like an adult and admit you were wrong, you'll just get a fine. It will probably be a large fine, but just a fine.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Tonka Toy
2004 Danceoff Champ

Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy

I could see that happening on the highway, but, look at the situation at hand.

Out of state student
college town
89 in a 45 (not sure of the road but probably somewhat residential)

I think they may try to make an example out of him. Not necessarily(sp?) going to happen, but it's possible.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:51 AM
IntegraXSi
EtHuGn' N dA NoKe!!!

IntegraXSi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Yes, you can go to jail. But I haven't heard of anyone going to jail for one speeding ticket. I know a person who has 3 wreckless driving tickets in the past year. He lost his license for 6 months, but didn't go to jail.

Yes, it's a possibility, but I still say if you go in, act like an adult and admit you were wrong, you'll just get a fine. It will probably be a large fine, but just a fine.
My brother went to jail over his first and only ticket at the time. The ticket was for 65 in a 25, his lawer proved it was a 35 zone, the officer that pulled him over told the judge that he was a perfect gentleman. Long story short he got 10 days in jail, lost his license for a month and after his lawer fees and all the fines his wallet was about 2500 lighter. But the judge was in a bad mood so best of luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 AM
rquest77

Originally Posted by IntegraXSi
My brother went to jail over his first and only ticket at the time. The ticket was for 65 in a 25, his lawer proved it was a 35 zone, the officer that pulled him over told the judge that he was a perfect gentleman. Long story short he got 10 days in jail, lost his license for a month and after his lawer fees and all the fines his wallet was about 2500 lighter. But the judge was in a bad mood so best of luck.

only for 1 month? and what area was this in?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
IntegraXSi
EtHuGn' N dA NoKe!!!

IntegraXSi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rquest77
only for 1 month? and what area was this in?
Roanoke county

Quick Reply: a good lawyer for blacksburg area?