Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Cam install in non VTEC B18

Old 07-26-2004, 07:51 PM
VT Prix GT 2006
Motor Trend Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VT Prix GT 2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cam install in non VTEC B18

I have a friend with a 96 or 98 Acura Integra LS (I don't think the year would really make much of a difference). Hes got the B18 non VTEC engine. This guy is pretty indecisive when it comes to what he wants to do. He finally managed to save up a few thousand dollars by working his ass off and of course he wants to spend it all on his Integra. Hes jumped from a Jackson Racing blower, turbo, VTEC conversion, H22 swap, and cams. He finally decided to go ahead and go with a stage 3 cam swap, valves, retainers, and headers (not sure what brands or anything). Whats the typical time for a cam swap in these cars? Any lil pointers or anything he should be aware of? I've swapped cams in my car and it was about a 10 hour job. Its OHV so I'm assuming this DOHC engine, although smaller, will be a lil more indepth since we're dealing with 2 cams and all. TIA.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:36 PM
sk8rmike
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike
Default Re: Cam install in non VTEC B18

easy as fuck dude...for just the cams this is all you do...

remove valve cover
remove distributor
loosen timing belt tensioner and slide belt off of cam gears
remove cam caps and set them aside in order
pull out cams
use engine assembly lube on guides
install new cams/cam gears
bolt cam caps back on
make sure to reset the timing on the Tbelt
reinstall belt

rest is just reverse of install...just the cams should be no more than like 30 minutes...
Old 07-27-2004, 04:34 AM
JayDM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, everything is easy for you!
Old 07-27-2004, 04:38 AM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

definite easy install, but he really needs alot more to maximise a cam upgrade,and hes not gonna see a massive jump in power,but he willgain some power, but if i had a couple thousand to spend, just doing a cam upgrade would be the last thing on my mind.......
Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 AM
VT Prix GT 2006
Motor Trend Mechanic

VT Prix GT 2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not bad at all, I think we can manage that. I know in my particular car, a cam really woke my car up since they are relatively popular upgrades for w-body GM's. Hes already got some sort of fenderwell intake and catback exhaust system currently with a high performance clutch and lightweight flywheel. So adding a stage three cam with all the necessary bells and whistles along with headers won't really do too much? He planned on getting a port and polish job in the mean time as well, but I doubt he'll spend that much money.

Hopefully for his sake, a stage 3 cam is ok on stock heads. I know they sure as hell aren't for mine.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:55 AM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

non vtec ls heads are like the least flowing heads that honda makes, so hes definitely gonna need that port and polish job, and definitely a better intake manifold to feed the full potential of those cams, and the all motor cams that are made for non vtec cars go very well with high compression pistons, as it sits the ls compression is 9:2:1 which is pretty low, id say his car wont make over 150whp if he doesnt get inside the motor, and let me guess hes running a dc 4-2-1, thats not gonna help too much either,he needs a real header if hes gonna get serious about a naturally aspirated ls non vtec motor, more power to him, i almost built a n/a ls motor,but then i realized for the money i would put into that motor, i could put just a little more into a vtec motor and make way more power, good luck man,let us know what kind of power it puts down on the dyno.......
Old 07-27-2004, 07:07 AM
SCOOBY STEVE
sup

SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE

an-r, bisimoto, headertech, hytech, etc.... do it
Old 07-27-2004, 07:38 AM
DA-BEAST
Function>Form

DA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these partsDA-BEAST is infamous around these parts

dont waste the time or money, he will be very dissappointed...either boost it or put a vtec head on it
Old 07-27-2004, 08:04 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

ill install the cams for 50 bucks its cake work
Old 07-27-2004, 08:45 AM
The Barst
¿Señor Member?

The Barst is an unknown quantity at this point

All motor is too much money, especially for a ls. Like impatient said, the cams really want higher compression. Even so, the car just isn't going to be fast. Put some nos and a clutch in it and blow the rest on drugs and hookers.

Quick Reply: Cam install in non VTEC B18