Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Good Lawyer In Richmond/Chesterfield Area?

Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Nd4SpdSe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nd4SpdSe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good Lawyer In Richmond/Chesterfield Area?

Well, Sunday night, I dug myself into a bit of a hole and looking for a good lawyer to help me out.

I was at Wing Command hanging out, my car was parked with my underglows on. There was an officer who was pulling people over all night and was sitting around in the lot waiting for more people to leave, many were affraid to go, so after 'at least' 20 minutes of him waiting around, I left thinking was immune to anything he could throw at me, but I was completely wrong, and gave him ammo as well.

Apparently underbody neons are illegal on the car period, even if their not on while driving, but that's not my main problem. Ignorance isn't an excuse anyway.

Although I've been working on a project down here since last May, I'm usually back and forth to Canada every 4-6 weeks. Unfortunately, I was way too literal when he asked me how long i've been down here and said "over a year", big mistake, and I wish I would of known...so I got nailed with:

- No Valid VA State Inspection
- Fail To Obtain A VA Operator's License
- No VA Registration

The big one I'm worried about is the Operator's License

However, after 60 days of living in Virginia, you must obtain a Virginia license from the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you do not, and are stopped by the police, you will be charged with an offense that is punishable as a Class 2 misdemeanor. The maximum penalty for driving without an operator's license is six months in jail and a $1000 fine.
I know if that I have some sort of Criminal Record, I can't renew my work visa, but i'm not sure if i'll be literally kicked out of the country if i get charged with it.

He kept talking about being and having a residence, but I'm honestly unsure what exactly that is and why it puts me under the classification to get those tickets, but I don't have my own place or pay rent, I use a condo which is supplied and paid for by work.

This isn't a "suck it up and pay" speeding ticket, these charges were laid by an unforgiving cop with unknowingly the wrong information and was unwilling to reason with me and pretty much shot down any correction i made to myself about what I said. So I'm looking for a lawyer that will honestly help me out. I've found and e-mailed one so far, but it seems they want money before anything serious is discussed, but I want to know what I'm getting into and what to expect.

Any help would be great appreciated. I've never been charged with anything or been to court.

P.S. I was told by a few friends that I could charge him with harassement. So I have grounds for that?

Last edited by Nd4SpdSe; 08-08-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
J. O. BUDS
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS
Default Re: Good Lawyer In Richmond/Chesterfield Area?

where is the car you're driving registered? is it registered in your name? where are your bills sent?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Take your work visa along with a first and and last paystub or something that states how long you've been working to support the work visa, down to the police station with your ticket. Ask to speak with the duty sargent who may be able to handle it for you. This is assuming that the car is registered in your or your parents' name in Canada and your license is also from Canada.

Also take pics of your car with the lights removed with that ticket, do the same. They can handle the equipment violation tickets there so you don't have to appear in court and waste those fees.

Originally Posted by Nd4SpdSe
P.S. I was told by a few friends that I could charge him with harassement. So I have grounds for that?
No. Get new friends.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
RCR Roscoe
Body In Trunk.

RCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond repute

I heard you met nash. ill pm ya some info.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Nd4SpdSe
Registered Member

Nd4SpdSe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ...rallyred
where is the car you're driving registered? is it registered in your name? where are your bills sent?
My car is registered under my name and registered for the province of Ontario. I have a valid Ontario drivers license and my insurance is valid from Ontario as well.

Originally Posted by 65-SpyderGT
Take your work visa along with a first and and last paystub or something that states how long you've been working to support the work visa, down to the police station with your ticket. Ask to speak with the duty sargent who may be able to handle it for you. This is assuming that the car is registered in your or your parents' name in Canada and your license is also from Canada.

Also take pics of your car with the lights removed with that ticket, do the same. They can handle the equipment violation tickets there so you don't have to appear in court and waste those fees.
Underglow neons are staying. I've had them for 5 years, not fun to install (replaced them a few times), so they're not coming off. I am allowed to cover them. What I will end up doing is that because of these tickets, I don't think I'm legally allowed to drive now until they get sorted out or I get valid VA licence, but I have all my parts ready as of this week for my custom tranny, and I'm actually going home this Friday so I'll leave her up there to get that installed anyway and keep her up there until things get sorted out, unfortuantely. I'll just show them my plane ticket for flying back...I'll just have to make sure when she comes down next time that all her lights are covered to make it legal...I'm just wondering, if they can ticket me for my neons, how about my exhaust, my ride height, etc, etc...

I'm not sure I understand what my visa and paystubs will do to rectify the situation, I'm not sure what I'll prove...but i guess it couldnt hurt to talk to someone and get some answers...
Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM
GoldenLeg13
MoltenMetalFuzion

GoldenLeg13 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Nd4SpdSe
I'm just wondering, if they can ticket me for my neons, how about my exhaust, my ride height, etc, etc...
Yes to all of the above. They can and they will.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

You missed the point -- which was that you are not a Virginia resident and the car does not have to be registered in Virginia, making those VA license and registration tickets go away once you prove that you are here legally on a work visa.

I'm headed up to Canada in 3 weeks, about a half hour northeast of Toronto.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM
jentegraGS-R
Registered Member

jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R

Originally Posted by GoldenLeg13
Yes to all of the above. They can and they will.
yeah you're lucky you didn't get more tickets.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Here is the code that applies to you, while this is the one he said you were (incorrectly) in violation.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Lord Humongous
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by 65-SpyderGT
You missed the point -- which was that you are not a Virginia resident and the car does not have to be registered in Virginia, making those VA license and registration tickets go away once you prove that you are here legally on a work visa.

I'm headed up to Canada in 3 weeks, about a half hour northeast of Toronto.
Actually I bet they don't get dropped. I know a lot of military guys that live in VA and their cars are registered in other states that have gotten tickets for things that are legal in their home state (tint comes to mind), however if you maintain a residence in VA you're pretty screwed.

Quick Reply: Good Lawyer In Richmond/Chesterfield Area?