Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

High Temperature epoxy/adhesive

Old 07-06-2005, 04:51 AM
GaRn
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default High Temperature epoxy/adhesive

I have a small gap in between my wastegate flange and wastegate, so obviously without anything there it leaks when the gate opens..

Anyone know of any high heat epoxy/putty/adhesive that would withstand the temperatures? I have tried a few things(JB Weld/high heat sealant/copper gasket maker goop), but neither worked for very long.. JB weld lost its bond, the sealant stuff bubbled up, and the copper stuff eventually came off too..

I found this stuff called Hi Temp Lab Metal but wanted to ask if anyone on here had used anything similar to what I am looking for before I spent the $40 on it..

If I can't find anything I guess I will have to get it brazed, but I would rather do something else..
Old 07-06-2005, 05:12 AM
20psi 240sx
Registered Member

20psi 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: High Temperature epoxy/adhesive

what kind of wastegate. is this the flange before the wastegate or after?
if its a tial, there is a round ring gasket machined from aluminum. it is the sealing section of the wastegate.

Last edited by 20psi 240sx; 07-06-2005 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:44 AM
marshall
Registered Member

marshall has disabled reputation

it sounds like you mean there is no gasket between the w/g discharge and dump tube? so...why not put a gasket in there?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:52 AM
GaRn
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

No, there is a gasket, its just the flange is for a 38mm tial/rotomaster/delta WG, I made that gasket out of aluminam tin foil/copper spray

But the thing is the wastegate I have is some WG that comes with ford 5.0l turbo kits, its a huge WG, 44mm, but has the same bolt pattern, but the hole in the WG comes over the edge of the flange 1mm on each side or so.. I got it for cheap is the reason I got the WG and its nice and I don't think I will need a bigger one anytime soon ahahaha.. the flange is before the wastegate, turbo manifold side.

Here is a pic of the WG:

Old 07-06-2005, 03:25 PM
20psi 240sx
Registered Member

20psi 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point

make a flange that fits. then weld it on.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:41 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

dont ****** rig it and you will be fine.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:23 PM
GaRn
Registered member

I already had to make a flange for the other side, don't feel like doing it again, plus the flange on there is a cast stainless flange, I would rather not butcher my manifold if I could get around it, which is why I asked this in the first place.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

gotcha. but sans welding, i cannot think of any form of epoxy that is worth a shit in that situation.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:10 PM
IntegraXSi
EtHuGn' N dA NoKe!!!

IntegraXSi is an unknown quantity at this point

If JB Didnt hold for shit then you need to weld it ..
Old 07-06-2005, 07:17 PM
GaRn
Registered member

Originally Posted by fc735
gotcha. but sans welding, i cannot think of any form of epoxy that is worth a shit in that situation.
Yea, eck.. do you this stuff is worth a try?

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Products.asp?id=2

Quick Reply: High Temperature epoxy/adhesive