Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B-series compatibility ???s

Old 08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
elambz
<3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz
Default B-series compatibility ???s

I've got a LS right now. I've decided forced induction just isn't a smart thing for me and I have no reason for it. I only have one car, so I need to keep it reliable. I figure I could do some basic bolt ons to my LS for the time being, and when I've got some more money, do a B18C swap. My question is though, if I do the bolt ons to my LS, how much compatibility am I gonna have if I got a JDM GSR? I figure the intake wouldn't be, because of the difference in IM's, but would everything from the header back be? I know with a USDM 00-01 GSR, the exhaust is the same as a 94-01 LS, but I don't know about the header and cat. Now if I got a pre-00 GSR motor, I imagine I might run into some problems. I just wanna know that if I buy parts now, they will be compatible later on. If they won't be, I'll wait til I swap to buy things. I don't have an nice paying job, so I'd like to keep good gas mileage but still fun to drive and stock LS just isn't fun. I figure a mild NA setup on a GSR would still get me fine gas mileage and would be a big improvement over an LS.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Yell88CRXsi
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation
Default Re: B-series compatibility ???s

First off, everything in the LS head would be worthless, and the Intake Manifold itself is no good...however the injectors, sensors, throttle body, Intake tube and header/cat-back would still be good.
As for the bottom end, aftermarket flywheels, pullies, and oil pans are compatible.
Be careful of mixing internals because the B16/B17/B18/B20 use slightly wider rod bearings than the GSR's and ITR's. This means that any aftermarket LS forged rods without machining could cause big problems on the stock GSR/ITR crank. Now, if you are going to stroke that GSR with the LS 89mm crank, then you can use any forged rods or pistons from the B16/B17/B18 & B20.

Did I miss anything?
Old 08-06-2005, 03:39 PM
elambz
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz
Default Re: B-series compatibility ???s

The only parts I was really concerned with are the I/H/C/E. I wouldn't start working on internals until I swapped. Clutch and flywheels also matter since I may need to buy a new clutch in a few thousand miles. The extra info was helpful though, thanks.