Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

CEL Code 8: TDC

Old 09-16-2005, 11:20 AM
b18c1EJcivic
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b18c1EJcivic has disabled reputation
Default CEL Code 8: TDC

I have a 99 Civic with a 99 GSR engine converted to OBD-1. The other day the CEL same on, It was code 8: TDC . I had the same code 3 weeks ago. The dizzy was replaced. My friend did some research and found out it could either be a wire under the dizzy cap between 2 screws or the wires for the plug that plugs to the dizzy could be bad. He said I should check the resistance between these to slots on the top of the plug. He said the resistance should be between 300 and 350. Does that sound right? What else could it be?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: CEL Code 8: TDC

SOunds like an intermittant open in the wire. If you've converted to OBD1 with an adapter harness, it could be a broken wire there, or it could be a bad connection at the dizzy plug. I'm guessing it's not the sensor itself, because it should misbehave pretty much all the time if it's going bad. I would unplug the connector the the dizzy, unplug the ECU, and check end to end on the wire that goes between them. You should have almost no resistance, most likely less than 2 ohms. While you're at it, check for connector corrosion, crimp pin damage, and all that stuff. If you've replaced the dizzy, and there aren't any visible signs of anything wrong under the cap, it's most likely a wire. Oh, also check the power going to the dizzy, that may be the problem also. I'd suspect you should have more than one CEL if that was the case though.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 PM
b18c1EJcivic
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
SOunds like an intermittant open in the wire. If you've converted to OBD1 with an adapter harness, it could be a broken wire there, or it could be a bad connection at the dizzy plug. I'm guessing it's not the sensor itself, because it should misbehave pretty much all the time if it's going bad. I would unplug the connector the the dizzy, unplug the ECU, and check end to end on the wire that goes between them. You should have almost no resistance, most likely less than 2 ohms. While you're at it, check for connector corrosion, crimp pin damage, and all that stuff. If you've replaced the dizzy, and there aren't any visible signs of anything wrong under the cap, it's most likely a wire. Oh, also check the power going to the dizzy, that may be the problem also. I'd suspect you should have more than one CEL if that was the case though.
I did convert with an adapter harness. There is only 1 CEL, I am just going to take my car to a shop on Monday.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Jarrod
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Cool stuff. Update us when you get it fixed.

Fabrik8, I love the your old sol man. That thing is very nice. Wish I coulda bought it...
Old 09-30-2005, 12:02 PM
b18c1EJcivic
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Cool stuff. Update us when you get it fixed.

Fabrik8, I love the your old sol man. That thing is very nice. Wish I coulda bought it...
It was a disconnected wire going to the ecu.