Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

Wheel Offset Question

Old 03-08-2006, 08:33 PM
boomer0587
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boomer0587 has disabled reputation
Default Wheel Offset Question

Ok my buddies were arguing over wheel offset tonight and i thought i would see if someone could clarify for me. could someone please just explain offset or point me in the right direction to a website that has a chart or something. thank you.

-nick
Old 03-09-2006, 05:08 AM
JLUDE
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLUDE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wheel Offset Question

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.
Most cars use positive offset wheels +28-40mm common on RWD and +35-50mm common on FWD cars.