Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

just got a job offer...

Old 04-03-2006, 05:35 AM
branch757
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
branch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond reputebranch757 has a reputation beyond repute
Default just got a job offer...

Hey im getting out the air force and i got a job offer in D.C. making 70k im orginially from VA beach but ive been away for the past 6 years. ive herd that the cost of living in d.c. is crazy! i dont plan to live in d.c. more like one of the surrounding cities in maryland or va. anyone have any insight on life up there??

THanks
Old 04-03-2006, 05:59 AM
bkohler81
Registered Member

bkohler81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just got a job offer...

Where you choose to live will ultimately be based on where you are working. Nowhere in NOVA is it really affordable to live. If you move way out to Stafford/Aquia area, you are still looking at rising prices and at least an hour commute into the city. Not too sure about Maryland. The most expensive areas are definitely going to be Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria. Fairfax being the furthest out will give you the biggest commuting headache, but might offer you more options than the other 2. Arlington/Alexandria is more like living in a city rather than a suburb in many areas. Are you actually working IN dc?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Moriar
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Alexandria, really isnt that bad, Mortgage on my house is 3999$ a month w/property tax included. not too bad
Old 04-03-2006, 06:17 AM
MerF
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

You could livedown here in King George. I swear it's fucking stupid how much it is to live down here in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE because it's an hour from DC.

Yes, your $70k job in DC is like having a $40k job (or less!) in the 757. Seriously.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:04 AM
bkohler81
Registered Member

bkohler81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moriar
Alexandria, really isnt that bad, Mortgage on my house is 3999$ a month w/property tax included. not too bad
A $4K mortgage isn't that bad? WOW, dude you are jaded, that's a high mortgage. What's the annual on your property tax? I came from FL where the taxes were VERY HIGH.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Jason300zxTT
Registered member

Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT

our mogage is 2,000 a month

appartments go for 1,010 a month for 2 bed 2 bath in sterling/ashburn/dulles

they range from 900-1300 BUT norm around 1,000
Old 04-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Zero
That's not gone well

Zero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud ofZero has much to be proud of

Yeah housing sucks in nova, but w/ 70k, i think you will be fine (not living in the ghetto eating instant noodles everyday). I think if you're in NOVA and make under 50k, try to find a roomate, under 40k get 2, 30k get 3, etc...

I know alot of people who live in Prince William County, even STAFFORD, and make the commute to DC. Housing is cheaper down there, but rising. Depends on how much you like driving. Also, look into Metro options, see what stations are around.

Good luck. Welcome to northern VA. I hope you like cops and traffic.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Moriar
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bkohler81
A $4K mortgage isn't that bad? WOW, dude you are jaded, that's a high mortgage. What's the annual on your property tax? I came from FL where the taxes were VERY HIGH.
Eh i wouldnt say im jaded, it jus happens to be, that either ur in apt or ur stuck w/2500+ mortgage.. and i hate apts so i sucked it up and got a mortgage which to me is better in the long run
Old 04-03-2006, 10:04 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

the mortgage on my house is 2999, its 4100 sq ft, prolly an hour outside of DC with normal traffic.. i live on the border of prince william and faquier county though
Old 04-03-2006, 10:22 AM
HighPSI TSi Guy
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Moriar
so.. what do you do for a living, and are they hiring??? haha... $4000 a month.. i couldn't imagine having to pay that much just for housing..

Quick Reply: just got a job offer...