Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

VA shop that still does the tailpipe sniffer test?

Old 04-05-2006, 06:49 AM
duketrueblue
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duketrueblue has disabled reputation
Default VA shop that still does the tailpipe sniffer test?

Hey all,

The place I usually go to for emissions has not switched to the OBD test... which is a problem for me since I have a 98 with hondata and an OBDI computer.

I do know I can pass the sniffer test if I could just find a shop that hasn't converted to the OBDII test yet. Any hints please???

Thanks all,
Bryan

Last edited by duketrueblue; 04-05-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 AM
MerF
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Re: VA shop that still does the tailpipe sniffer test?

I'm trying my hardest and can not figure out what you are talking about...I think maybe because I get so confused with all the various types of testing that happens in NoVa/MD.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:22 AM
duketrueblue
Registered Member

duketrueblue has disabled reputation

Before July 2005, when you took your vehicle to get it's emissions test done, they did so through the tailpipe and testing the exhaust. Now, a lot (if not all) of the places use a diagnostic computer that they simply hook up to your OBDII diagnostic port.

Unfortunately, my car 'should' be OBDII but because I've put in hondata (which requires an OBDI ecu) I fail the new diagnostic test.

My car runs well with the hondata so it'll pass the old tailpipe snif test if I can find a place that still does that test.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Moriar
Registered Member

Moriar has disabled reputation

Duke, u will not find a shop that will do this, The new rule is if ur car is OBD2 that they have to do the Diagnostic Test, no more sniffer, Sniffer is Only for cars that CAME w/ OBD1 from Factory. since ur car is OBD2 from Factory, u have to do the Diag
Old 04-05-2006, 10:19 AM
TRU
Registered Member

TRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond repute

Like Moriar said, all places that do emmissions were obligated to change over. you might have to run a OBDII Ecu for one day for the test. Sorry i couldnt help more :-/
Old 04-05-2006, 10:37 AM
boostlesszx2
Registered Member

boostlesszx2 has disabled reputation

yeah you'll have to convert back to OBDII cuz this is what i had to do to get my car back on the road
Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

yes it sucks, all of the obd2 testing is done by pluggin up the ecu, the only way you can by pass it, is to have someone with the same car take your spot. This is one of the main reasons im scared of boosting my integra, i wouldnt want to half to switch back to fail. hopefully hondata updates for this problem in the future
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 AM
MerF
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Man that shit is harsh. I'm so glad the rest of the state hasn't caught onto the communism of NoVa yet.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:10 PM
D_Eclipse9916
Registered Member

D_Eclipse9916 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by EEK
yes it sucks, all of the obd2 testing is done by pluggin up the ecu, the only way you can by pass it, is to have someone with the same car take your spot. This is one of the main reasons im scared of boosting my integra, i wouldnt want to half to switch back to fail. hopefully hondata updates for this problem in the future

That wont work, the guy inspecting SHOULD look at the VIN on the car tested and sends it with your results to the dmv database or something (according to my inspector). He said if there were any non-matching things that it would be investigated. They said they had way too many problems of doing that. Notice the word should.

PS- Thank god I dont have a honda

With my dsmlink I delete all codes and make it run perfectly, so I can pass with flying colors and no codes on obd2. Thank god they switched over, I might not have passed the sniffer.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 PM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

i never said the inspector had too be a by the book guy

Quick Reply: VA shop that still does the tailpipe sniffer test?