Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Question for the track day guys...

Old 07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
onepointone
ASE Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of
Default Question for the track day guys...

so i bought my one peice leather suit today. so i have that, boots, gloves, and a decent bike. ive been wanting to get out on a track for the past 2 years, but im just now getting to it.

im just wondering whats the best thing to do. cornerspeed is holding a level 1 class in july at VIR (full coarse). but that ish is $400. i know whats all is included and everything, but im also trying to do this on a budget.

i saw that nesba does alot of track days, at a fairly cheap price, but that doesnt include classroom. i know i have alot to learn on the track, but im pretty understanding when it comes to racing. i did 2 years of autox, raced alot of go karts, and i have over 22,000 miles of riding under my belt, a lot of mountain riding and ect. basically i think (hope) ill survive in a beginning/intermediate group without classroom instruction.

so whats my best/cheapest bet to get out on the track for the first time? anyone going to anything sometime soon and mind if i meet up at the track and bug you a bit?

just looking for some advise.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:12 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question for the track day guys...

since you have some racing/track experience (meaning you know correct race lines) i wouldn't worry too much about the class time and go for the nesba days. i've done some nesba days, always have a blast, and the track marshals are always helpfull when needed/wanted.

though i think you need a back protector too.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:35 PM
onepointone
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

yea, i forgot to mention that was on the "still need" list, along with some new tires..

thanks for the input.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:31 AM
CBR600F4
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

All you have to do is lie...................trust me on this.

Go to a track day sponsered by Team ProMotion and tell them you've done a track day or two with NESBA. They have no way of confirming this. They will put you in the Beginner (White) group but you won't have to take the silly intro course that they "make" you take if you've never done a track day before.

That's what I did some years back.........................
Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
onepointone
ASE Master

at the same time, i have never been on a road course track before.... you know? id like to at least to a couple laps with other riders before i get thrown into something.. you know?

at the nesba events, if you start the day as a beginner, are you a beginner the whole day and when they "move you up", that goes into effect the next track day you do? or do you get to move to the next level the same day?

i think im going to try to make a nesba event either end of this month or next month. sounds like the best bet.

CBR600F4 - do you like promotion better than nesba or any others? if so why/why not? or is it all the same to you?

like i said, just looking for some info from people that have tried different events... i definately dont want to waste money/time/ect.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:19 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

if the track marshall bumps you up, you can go out, next session, with the next group up, after you get your sticker.

if you feel like you need to get bumped up to keep from running over slower riders, you can get a track marshall to follow you for a few laps, and it's his call as to whether you can step it up a notch or not.

usually, beginner groups are packed the first few sessions, but alot of people go down/break after the first few sessions, so it thins out alot. last time i went to vir (years ago) me and a friend of mine had to start in the beginner group (boo) b/c niether of us had been to the track in over a year, and after 3 or 4 sessions, we were told we could move up, but we ended up staying in beginner, b/c there was only 6 or 8 people left, so we had the track to our selves for the most part to go out and play.

beware, you start riding on the track... and it'll make you not wanna ride the street any more...lol
Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Voodoo ST
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

Cornerspeed is a great place to start.... the instruction is 100 times better than any NESBA event and you will actually learn something....
Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
onepointone
ASE Master

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
beware, you start riding on the track... and it'll make you not wanna ride the street any more...lol

haha, i have no problem with that. actually, im kinda of expecting it. almost EVERY day, literally, i have some jackass somewhere that almost runs me off the road. i drive in heavy traffic everyday to/from work, and its nuts. i think this winter im going to get rid of/sell all the street stuff on my gsxr and make it a track bike. i just want to get out there and see how i like it. im sure it will be a crack addiction for me, and im ok with that
Old 07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Armenian
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation

The streets are where it's at--yea there are a LOT of idiots out there but i don't understand what people are so scared about. No need to get spooked out, no need to race or stunt on the street-choose your locations wisely-Be aware and pay attention of your surroundings and just relax. When you start getting scared, is when you lose your edge and wrecking comes sooner. You really do have to drive offensively around here on a motorcycle. I could never just stunt my bike out and never ride on the street I always got at least one street legal bike--both my bikes are street legal right now.

This reminds me of the people that dont have motorcycles that say "Man I'd get a bike but I'd kill myself"

Last edited by Armenian; 07-12-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:31 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by Armenian
"Man I'd get a bike but I'd kill myself"

i hear that at least once a day