Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

I NEED OPINIONS ON OPENING A NEW BIKE SHOP:

Old 07-13-2006 | 11:15 PM
Armenian
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation
Default I NEED OPINIONS ON OPENING A NEW BIKE SHOP:

I've been in close communications with the owner of HAI Bike shop in Orlando. I'm seriously thinking about buying a franchise of HAI Bike shop in Virginia Beach but i need to know if there's any interest up here before I start putting numbers together and opening up a shop.

The store carries all kinds of special parts--Crash Cages, Sprockets, Handbrakes, Clutch Perches/levers, Acerbis streetfighter headlight kits, Tires, Stabilizers, Rearsets, Helmets, Apparrel, Maintenance Parts/liquids, etc...etc..

The store has an extensive background--they sponsor the best stuntriders in the U.S., been in multiple videos, magazines, on MTV, etc.....

Here's a link to their online website-- www.haibikeshop.com

Check it out I wanna hear what all riders think not just stunt riders...

Thanks

Alvin
Old 07-13-2006 | 11:19 PM
The_rabbit1
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I NEED OPINIONS ON OPENING A NEW BIKE SHOP:

you're gonna have alot of competition.
Old 07-13-2006 | 11:34 PM
Armenian
CLUTCH IT UP

Originally Posted by The_rabbit1
you're gonna have alot of competition.
Cycle Gear, Cycle Trendz, Cycle World, Sunrise, Honda of VB, Redline, and a few more on the peninsula.

HAI is different--I've been to all the shops around here and I've been to HAI down in Orlando-Cycle Gear is the only place that comes somewhat close in selection of products, yet it's a fact that their staff is weak in knowledge of motorcycles which can be very irritating-HAI has a much better line of different products and apparrel with a staff of guys that ride and know bikes well. This would also be a centralized hangout for us sportbike riders with a few couches, big screen TV, etc.....
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:16 AM
The_rabbit1
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Armenian
Cycle Gear, Cycle Trendz, Cycle World, Sunrise, Honda of VB, Redline, and a few more on the peninsula.

HAI is different--I've been to all the shops around here and I've been to HAI down in Orlando-Cycle Gear is the only place that comes somewhat close in selection of products, yet it's a fact that their staff is weak in knowledge of motorcycles which can be very irritating-HAI has a much better line of different products and apparrel with a staff of guys that ride and know bikes well. This would also be a centralized hangout for us sportbike riders with a few couches, big screen TV, etc.....
know that you put it that way, you will definitely make the money... need a friend?
Old 07-14-2006 | 12:44 AM
Armenian
CLUTCH IT UP

Originally Posted by The_rabbit1
know that you put it that way, you will definitely make the money... need a friend?
Good deal--lets hear some more opinions. I'm looking for a location--
Old 07-14-2006 | 02:19 AM
Corey
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Is there anything like this in Richmond? If there is, I'd say the southside is your best bet. If not, the peninsula might be your best bet. I think people from Richmond would ride down if the shop is as good as you make it sound.
Old 07-14-2006 | 04:08 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

i need a job.....
Old 07-14-2006 | 04:53 AM
octane
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

Would come down to price, in-stock selection, customer service, and employee knowledge for me. I really prefer to patronize a local business rather than order online, not just for the convenience of picking a part up vs. waiting for the mail, but because I like to keep my money in my own community - and have someone to go talk to if I have a problem with my purchase.

That said though, I've had hassle after hassle with several local shops - between waiting long periods after the promised delivery date for parts ordered, and just plain shoddy repair/service. Don't anybody take that the wrong way and go saying Dan says all the shops in the 757 suck now!! There are a few good shops in this area. If you say my order will be in or my bike is going to be ready at a certain time though - and it's not going to be - freaking call me. You have my cell number, so there's no reason to make me drive thirty minutes each way out of my way to tell me when I get to the shop. I do most of my own work on my bike, so if I bring it to the shop it's either really f'd up or I have no spare time to work on it - so don't waste what little time I have.

The couch/TV thing doesn't really have a whole lot of appeal to me. I'm always on the run and rarely have a minute to sit down, so if I do get a minute to rest I'm off to my garage to spin some wrenches. FWIW, I think the lounge thing is a cool idea in theory, but be careful about having a shop full of buddies and hangers-on that aren't spending any money. One cool idea I've seen in a shop in Richmond (auto shop called RPM on Broad) is an ice cream parlor in the shop. I rarely see anyone in there eating ice cream, but I'm also never there in the evening or on weekends. Cool idea though, he has a dedicated area in the back for the parlor and in the summer has a kid stand on the street in front of the shop advertising free ice cream samples. The magazine display is in the parlor, so I'd imagine he sells a lot of mags while people are lounging...just make sure they actually buy them!!

Location will be key too. You'll need to either put money into a prime commercial lease and signage where you'll pick up a lot of drive-by business or rent a cheap warehouse somewhere and put a lot of money into smart promotion and advertising. Something in between would probably be ideal - you need to be seen from the street, and be centrally located, but you don't want to have a huge lease to pay every month. On a side note, I can't believe nobody has taken over the old Lowe's in Kings Fork yet - that place would be a killer dealership. It's huge, close to downtown Suffolk and has a HUGE parking lot. It's gettin' run down now too.

Last edited by octane; 07-14-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2006 | 05:14 AM
Chino
Your Kneegrow

Chino has disabled reputation

+1 on Dan and in addition..

You'll be the only shop that's "stunt" geared. Could be looked at it as a good thing or a bad thing. How you carry your shop is what that will depend on.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a local extreme shop for gear, parts, etc.

Another issue is if you plan on having "loungers and hangers"..security. Either from people just being stupid and ego's colliding and with people who are out to scout what bikes to steal.

Oh also, i hope you have the funds to do this, its not cheap.
Old 07-14-2006 | 05:45 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

HAI is good stuff, and they're good people!

I think it's a good idea.. Bikes are only getting more popular (other than the bad publicity about extreme motorcycling all over the news in any given town).

One suggestion from me to you: stock up on lots of apparel.. all different kinds. Not just riding gear, but casual shit too. I wish the local shithole bike shop had rider friendly brand clothing I could scoop up and check out when I'm in there. They have a few Busa shirts and Yamaha shit but nothing that really interests me. I'd buy shit all the time if they had better stuff. Also, I think displays are important! That's another thing they don't have here.

I'd be glad to offer you some help from my point of view if you're interested.

Quick Reply: I NEED OPINIONS ON OPENING A NEW BIKE SHOP: