Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Need Info on Sprockets

Old 07-26-2006, 01:22 AM
lildogg
Lil Tree Big Branch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lildogg has disabled reputation
Default Need Info on Sprockets

The guy I brought this bike from went -2 in the front. I went to Ken's Cycle in the East End of Richmond and they told me that I am doing nothing but killing the bike slowly. They said that I would have been better off just going +2 in the back I would have gotten the same result with the quicker accel but less consequences. But my boy has a Ninja 12 and he said he been riding like that for 3 years and said nothing happened. Dude at Ken's told me I will have to spend like $1500 in repair because the sprocket is making the chain turn too hard in the front... and some other stuff... I just need some general input!!! Because I am about to just take the sprocket off and go +2 in the back
Old 07-26-2006, 07:03 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need Info on Sprockets

the smaller the front sprocket, the tighter the chain does have to turn...however, $1500 in repairs???? WTF???
at most it'll just make your chain wear a lil faster. it's not hurting the motor any.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
lildogg
Lil Tree Big Branch

Cool thanks cause I was getting worried for a minute there... is there any way to keep my top end speed high and still keep the take off strong as it is now??
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
xshanex
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

usually -1 in the front is all thats recommended. I'd switch it to a -1 in the front and be done with it. Usually the best compromise for a normally ridden bike where you don't want to lose too much top end speed. I've had mine with a -1 for 7k miles with no problems at all. To keep the take-off from a stand-still strong I'd just learn how to launch properly and if you're worried about roll-ons get a bigger bike J/K. Its seriously not going to be a huge night and day difference with a -2 to -1 change
Old 07-28-2006, 09:18 PM
lildogg
Lil Tree Big Branch

Originally Posted by xshanex
usually -1 in the front is all thats recommended. I'd switch it to a -1 in the front and be done with it. Usually the best compromise for a normally ridden bike where you don't want to lose too much top end speed. I've had mine with a -1 for 7k miles with no problems at all. To keep the take-off from a stand-still strong I'd just learn how to launch properly and if you're worried about roll-ons get a bigger bike J/K. Its seriously not going to be a huge night and day difference with a -2 to -1 change

Thanks I might just do that... when you ride do you hear your sprocket turning like at low speeds????
Old 07-28-2006, 09:26 PM
lildogg
Lil Tree Big Branch

Also what is the difference in the 520 conversion kit and the 525 factory chain/sprocket as far as performance???
Old 07-28-2006, 09:46 PM
The_rabbit1
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lildogg
Also what is the difference in the 520 conversion kit and the 525 factory chain/sprocket as far as performance???
it just takes off like 5 lbs. imo it's a waste. get some steel gears they don't wear near as much.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:29 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Thanks I might just do that... when you ride do you hear your sprocket turning like at low speeds????

if you can hear it, it's out of adjustment and/or needs lube, for the most part.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:28 AM
lildogg
Lil Tree Big Branch

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
if you can hear it, it's out of adjustment and/or needs lube, for the most part.

Thanks because I was getting worried when I rode...
Old 07-29-2006, 09:21 AM
xshanex
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

different sized chain/sprocket. For street uses either should be fine but if you're swapping out everything and its the same price. I got the stock 525 or 530 sprocket size so I didn't have to change everything

my chain is a little loud because of neglect otherwise known as yearly chain cleanings and having 11k miles on it

Quick Reply: Need Info on Sprockets