Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

A Little Help With a 5.0

Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 AM
hondapwr
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondapwr has disabled reputation
Default A Little Help With a 5.0

My name is Jason & I live in the Denbigh area of Newport News. I don't post on this site much and I've never owned anything but Hondas. Well, I made a switch and bought an 89 Mustang GT Convertible yesturday. Yeah, big change I know. I'm moving on from the "I only like hondas" stage in my life to the "I like cars in general" stage. Anyways, naturally, the 5.0 I bought wasn't stock, so here is the list of mods:

gt40heads
gt40 Intake Manifold
COnverted to Mass Air
Cold air intake
E-cam
BBK headers
Off Road H-pipe
Mac Cat-back
Aftermarket bigass Radiator w/ dual fans
Short Throw of some kind
Full Set of Autometer Ultra Light series gauges
4:10's out back with some other shit done to the rear end I know nothing of
Centerlines with 245 winston tires in the back & 165's up front.

I am seriously a complete idiot with this stuff. I know this car is supposed to be pretty fuckin quick but I doubt it runs any better then high 13's. I think it needs some tuning.

I am lookin for a good group of Ford guys that can steer me in the right direction with this thing and help me with mods, etc. Also, does anyone know what the most popular ford/mustang forum is?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Broke Neck
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck
Default Re: A Little Help With a 5.0

You shouldnt have a problem powering that thing into mid 13's at all.

check out TidewaterRacing.com, mostly a domestic crowd over there, but they can help you with any ? you have.

Get a fuel pump and a bottle and call it a day.

The verts are a bit heavier, so spray a 125 shot and run mid - low 12's all day with some good tires out back

Last edited by Broke Neck; 08-05-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:13 AM
hondapwr
Registered Member

thanks mang. I was hoping to get it running good, swap the Centerlines out for some cobra R's and runs mid 13's all day, then put a vortech or procharger kit on it in a few months yielding those 12's you were talking about.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Broke Neck
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Blowers are much more expensive, you could run 12s without having to save up

I have both, but my car came stock with the blower.

and Cobra R's are the ROTA of the mustang world
Old 08-05-2006, 09:28 AM
hondapwr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Broke Neck
Blowers are much more expensive, you could run 12s without having to save up

I have both, but my car came stock with the blower.

and Cobra R's are the ROTA of the mustang world
Yeah, but my 5.0 is black, and chrome cobra R's look great on black...

I can't say I wouldn't consider another type of wheel. THe Centerlines are definately up for trades though if you know anyone... They look brand new, no scuffs and have 95% tread left on the winston tires on them. You could probably actually call them brand new.

Also, the money thing isn't much of an issue. I could buy one next week if I really wanted. I think the blower should liven things up a little bit when I buy it. I'll probably look for a used kit just to save a few bucks.

I really think this thing needs tuned though. it feels great down low but just doesn't really impress me from about 3500 up to redline.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Brock Obama
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by hondapwr
I really think this thing needs tuned though. it feels great down low but just doesn't really impress me from about 3500 up to redline.
That's called owning a five liter Ford. Significant improvement can be made to the engine to help them breathe better, but the 5.0 in stock, or close to stock form is a torque motor.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
hondapwr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by XCELR8
That's called owning a five liter Ford. Significant improvement can be made to the engine to help them breathe better, but the 5.0 in stock, or close to stock form is a torque motor.
did you not read the list of mods? This thing is not exacly stock. it has a cam, gt 40 heads, gt40 intake mani, after market throttle body & spacer, complete intake & exhaust. I doubt it's gonna breath too much better...
Old 08-05-2006, 10:04 AM
92_SR20
±RepLegion

92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20

It's a fun car, those gears aren't the best for daily driving but that's my opinion. Fun cars, I miss mine.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:09 AM
hondapwr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 90_VertGT
It's a fun car, those gears aren't the best for daily driving but that's my opinion. Fun cars, I miss mine.
that sucks that you don't have it anymore. Trying something different I assume. As I am doing now. I just need the power curve to get better on the top end of this damn thing. when I put a blower on the car, I plan to back the gears out to 3:55's.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Lord Humongous
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by hondapwr
My name is Jason & I live in the Denbigh area of Newport News. I don't post on this site much and I've never owned anything but Hondas. Well, I made a switch and bought an 89 Mustang GT Convertible yesturday. Yeah, big change I know. I'm moving on from the "I only like hondas" stage in my life to the "I like cars in general" stage. Anyways, naturally, the 5.0 I bought wasn't stock, so here is the list of mods:

gt40heads
gt40 Intake Manifold
COnverted to Mass Air
Cold air intake
E-cam
BBK headers
Off Road H-pipe
Mac Cat-back
Aftermarket bigass Radiator w/ dual fans
Short Throw of some kind
Full Set of Autometer Ultra Light series gauges
4:10's out back with some other shit done to the rear end I know nothing of
Centerlines with 245 winston tires in the back & 165's up front.

I am seriously a complete idiot with this stuff. I know this car is supposed to be pretty fuckin quick but I doubt it runs any better then high 13's. I think it needs some tuning.

I am lookin for a good group of Ford guys that can steer me in the right direction with this thing and help me with mods, etc. Also, does anyone know what the most popular ford/mustang forum is?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ok..locally go to tidewaterracing.com. Also try Stangnet.com

Now for the car. You have a vert 89 which is heavy as shit...that's why it's not that fast. In stock trim it was a high 14/low 15 second car. Stock you also have somewhere near 180 whp and 255 tq. Right now you might have 225 or so at the wheels with the mods you have

1. 4.10s are a little much for a 5 spd 5.0. You're better off with 3.73s. You're definetely running out of gear.
2. Who told you it was coverted to Mass Air? 89s and up came with the mass air. Get a good cold air kit. Make sure it doesn't bend into the wheel well. 5.0 are notorious for having idle issues and having the bend in the CAI makes it worse.
3. Get the heads and lower manifold ported and matched.
4. Get new ignition wires, distributor head and ignition coil. It probably needs it.
5. Get subframe braces. Fox body verts bend out of shape. Make sure to carry a towel in the car because the roofs always leak.
6. Get a 100-125 NOS shot. The engine can take it if you don't go all bullshit.
7. Replace the brakes with discs all around. You'll thank me later
8. Replace all the rear suspension control arms....

Good luck-