Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

03 mazda protege wheel thump help.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:48 PM
slimb
slowest member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these parts
Default 03 mazda protege wheel thump help.

so my 03 mazda protege devloped a bad wheel thump. esp. at about 30 mph it vibrates the floor. well it felt like a knot in the tire so i went ahead and ordered 2 new tires for the front (might as well change both) so i order them wendesday night and they got here today. since my girl drives the car she went and had them installed on her way to work. they guy said it wasnt the tire it is a bad wheel bearing on the right side. has anyone else ever had this problem with there car and it been the wheel bearing. just want to make sure before i take two tooth billys advice on it. car is not here now so i wont be abel to jack it up and check the wheel till tomorrow
Old 12-01-2006, 05:50 PM
SpeedJunkie
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie
Default Re: 03 mazda protege wheel thump help.

Is it a thump or a roaring sound? How many miles are on the car?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:55 PM
slimb
slowest member

slimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these partsslimb is infamous around these parts

80,xxx kinda sounds like both it sounds like a flat spop or knot. and at 30mph it feels like we are getting ready for take off
Old 12-01-2006, 05:56 PM
SpeedJunkie
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by slimb
80,xxx kinda sounds like both it sounds like a flat spop or knot. and at 30mph it feels like we are getting ready for take off
Sounds like a wheel bearing.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:59 PM
slimb
slowest member

i was told to jack up car and see if i can move the tire in any direction and that would be abel to tell me. i had it happen on my 85 toyota pup but it was solid front axel so it was a little different. thanks for your help
Old 12-10-2006, 02:34 PM
slimb
slowest member

well finally got around to tearing down the passenger side wheel. got it apart didnt seem to be anything wrong with the bearing that doesnt mean anything,so i replaced it got it put back together and that was the problem. wasnt as bad as i thought only took about 1 1/2-2 hrs.