Notices
Vendor Reviews Post and read reviews for ANY business vendor, including dealerships, that you've dealt with, positive or negative. This is open to anybody and everybody, not restricted to Sponsors. If you're looking for a vendor/service try asking in one of the Regional Forums.

Horrible Experience w/ Pro-Motion Tuning in VA

Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 PM
MorrisMtrsports
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MorrisMtrsports has disabled reputation
Default Horrible Experience w/ Pro-Motion Tuning in VA

Hey everyone i have contomplated posting this on forums to keep face with this company , as i am sure once this is seen by them things would get even worse. This is not a bashing post but i am going to explain in DETAIL what happened. Pro Motion Tuning has every right to post on here. I am hopeing they will resolve these problems before further action has to be taken. Please do not bash this company however take this as a learning expierience as i have.

Sept. 31 Pro Motion offers to do a Sponsorship build on our shop Evo 8. This is when i dropped off the car.

This was supposed to be a SEMA Build and PRI show build.

Work to be done free of charge:
3" Intercooler Piping
Motor build-valvetrain (Ferrea dual valve springs and retainers)
Fuel Setup 1 external inline fuel pump and our fuel setup. incl. FPR

*****ALL Parts were being supplied by myself and other sponsors.

I dropped off rods and pistons and head components when i dropped the car off. I was told that the parts I got were not good enough. I told them i dont care i just want them in the car. I had asked for them to after the motor was out to get a list of fittings and length of fuel hose i will need to ask for from my sponsors to send us.

The good, hopeing that i would have the car finished in time for SEMA was a huge consern and they had let me know it was NOT going to be a problem.

THE BAD-
After pulling the motor out i was notified because they got another vehicle to do work on they no longer have the funds to do the free labor on the build and asked me to pay for it with a reduction in price.(about half off)
I was a little short on the fact of getting the car done on time, i swollowed it and said i would pay for it. They in turn allowed me to pay after the vehicle was done over a set time frame. I agreed to this because i had no spare time to have my shop to the work. I wasnt happy seeing as i could have done the entire build through myself if need be. upon the dissassembly putting the bearings in were a problem do to the rods manufacturers bearing requirements(they were wrong). After the motor was dissassembled and laying out, now reaching about 2 weeks they had the tech that was working on the vehicle leave the business for personal reasons. I have NO idea who put the motor back together, one of there techs said they did, they say the machine shop did. Originally when i dropped off the car i had given special instructions on what to do with my aftermarket parts that were already on the vehicle that i did not need , as most of them were sold already to friends and clients both on this forum and other evo friends. I had given them a special tool to remove the aftermarket wheels.

After one of the Techs pulled my gf aside, they started telling her i am a liar, my shop is not a REAL shop and that he had installed the motor and had no idea what he was doing. AND they insisted that i kept giving them the WRONG parts.

To shorten up this story a little bit here is the outcome:
when they called me finally to tell me the car was finished, i frantically ran over to VA from MD in great excitement hopeing the car was finished....AFTER not meeting the SEMA deadline. As i called my tuner to meet me over there. We got there around 3pm, the car was nowhere close to being finished.....As we waited around myself and the tuner (who wishes not to have his name shown) start working on the car ourselves, we dont have time to sit around and twittle our thumbs. We started getting the car together and upon 11pm i called it a nite and left. While they were tuning it the tuner noticed the ignition timing was off i believe 5degrees. He had told Promotion to check the crank and cam sensor and the timing belt to make sure it was correct. Promotion says it was checked. Then we had gone back 3 days later trying to work around the tuners schedule. The car was not finished, AGAIN. I brought the 6 gallons of race gas with me for tuning. Timing was still wrong. The tuner looks at the timing belt......Tells them the Timing belt is off ONE tooth. They check it again, check the sensors again. We are now around Nov. 5. over a month later.

After me driving back and forth over 10 times(90 miles one way) sometime around Nov 10-15th i get a call that the car is ready, again, i hesitate, take my time then head down. The car is not finished, but they do finish it while i wait for 4 hours again. The car starts! I hear the loud exhaust in the background! It shuts off ubruptly. they tell me the car isnt running right and they have no idea what it is. They think the tensioner pulley on the timing belt went bad, i inspect......the pulley was way over tightened and stripped the head of the bolt. And then they tell me the Tensioner failed, then they dont really know, the tensioner had less than 5k miles on it. I go home and get a used tensioner from a good frine with less than 500 miles on it. Then return the next nite. the car isnt finished. I had had enough. I raised my voice and told them to stop wasting my time tell them what theere tech had blown up on me. They then say hold on brb , they tell me so many times "my techs are tired of working on your car and dont want to work on it" owner james comes back, "dude we have a problem" shows me a shop rag, with 4 lifters, dude the timing belt jumped 7 teeth. Detramental motor damage.

The outcome:
They pull the head , all the valves are broken clean off the exhuast side all brand new piston as destroyed, the bore job i payed for is gone due to 2 valves dropping in the cylinders and scratching up the motor and 4 rocker arms are destroyed. That would be about 1500$ -2k of damage to all brand new parts.
I leave, 2 weeks later descide i NEED to get my car out of that shop. I finally call a tow truck and pay 500 dollars to have the car towed out . I make sure to tell them ALL parts of mine are in the car and that all the motor parts are BAGGED in trash bags and parts are kept organized......This is what i get from doing business with them......

Upon recieving my vehicle:
Race gas is GONE! i get an empty bottle back.
The head is in the trunk including an oil pan with 2 qts of oil sitting back there with my rods and pistons in the trunk.-OIL all over my trunk and rear seat, a ton of parts are missing.
I get a huge BOX of nuts and bolts and my old parts.
My uicp that i had sold was chopped up so they could use it to "make my new licp" which shouldnt have happened.
MISSING the following parts: aftermarket ignition wires, race gas, 4 lifters, 5 rocker arms, stolen/missing cds out of my car, fittings that my sponsors gave me, extra SS braided fuel line that was left over(est. 10ft or more), tbolt clamps i payed for, my lug nut remover for my wheels, and more.

Damage done to vehicle: UICP was destroyed , paint damage from people rubbing there hands across all the dirt to write, "this car sucks."
The front wheels were installed with over 300ft lbs of torque!!! And the lugs were rounded so i cant get them off. My wheels paint was scratched up.(will have pics tomorrow)

As far as what i am being charged for: misinstallation of the timing belt (removal 3 times.) the labor, machine shop, them breaking the tob and me paying for them to remove tranny 2 times. they REFUSED to install any more parts after the car blew up and told me to pick it up and get it out of there shop. They complained theyve spent too much money and time on this car.........1500.00 just for there labor, not to mention my parts cost i payed for , LOST SPONSORSHIPS ($4k in parts) because i missed 2 photo shooots and SEMA. And 3 months not having a vehicle.

I hope that Promotion Tuning will resolve all of these issues, im sure i left some stuff out, and im sure if or when they see this i will really be in legal battles with them and they will come after me. But i do not believe this is what should of happened. I hope this can be resolved ASAP and i will post on updates as to what they plan on doing to resolve this issue, but so far i have notn gotten returned phone calls and they are blowing me off. Maybe this will be a wake up call?

Sorry for such a long post everyone. I will post pics of damage tomorrow after i upload them tonight. Please be wary of Pro Motion Tuning, good guys, just really bad ethics , workmanship , and customer service. I know im another shop but i still payed for the work. That makes me a customer.

To Pro motion if you feel any of this is wrong we can talk and i will change it.

Thanks everyone for listening.

Jey Morris
Old 12-12-2006, 11:57 PM
hwsurnk
Registered Member

hwsurnk
Default Re: Horrible Experience w/ Pro-Motion Tuning in VA

Wow sorry to hear man..good luck getting anything from james trust me i know first hand how he works and its not pretty
Old 12-13-2006, 03:29 AM
tatmonster

tatmonster has disabled reputation

holy shit man. TERRIBLE experience, and thats alot of resolving they have ahead of them lol. gl with everything that you have to do to get this right man.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 AM
sidewaysil80
Friendly Jackboot

sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80

wow, sounds like autoworks in chesapeake. damn , shops like these piss me off, i tell ya, ive never heard or seen so many piece of shit, un reliable , overall scumbag shops as there are in virginia. maybe two i can think of that are respectable. im sorry to hear that, small claims court.thats my suggestion
Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Wow, what a piece of shit garage.

I say garage instead of performance shop because a shop actually has competent techs.

Not to mention the extemely UNPROFESSIONAL customer service. The customer is ALWAYS right, even if they are dicks about it. Hell, after what you went through, I'm surprised you're this calm.

Take pictures, get a lawyer, make them go out of business. They don't need to be destroying more cars.

Last edited by Jay; 12-13-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:18 AM
fobcivicracer
Registered Member

fobcivicracer has disabled reputation

damn man....sorry to hear that...and losing sponsorship?? man oh man...good luck with getting everything back together....thats y i always go to b&t motorsports...they do a great job on cars
Old 12-13-2006, 06:28 AM
MAD_DOHC
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by VR-4ever
Take pictures, get a lawyer, make them go out of business. They don't need to be destroying more cars.
Exactly.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 AM
P5errington
To old for this shit

P5errington has disabled reputation

AGAIN!!! Wonder how long this thread will stay up before it gets ugly? This has got to be the 6th or 7th complaint in as many months about Pro-motion, and all the threads get removed. If people actually can use this forum for what its intended ie...(positive and negative input) maybe they could get a hint what this place is about and stay away.
How long can the owner of this place put the blame on the customer?
Alot of people lost money and got screwed over here, and not once has JAMES took accountability. He can cross over to other forums and claim to be to professional to entertain these matters?
Looks like its getting worse now. Hopefully this will be the last.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 AM
EvOzRally7
GOT EM!!

EvOzRally7 is on a distinguished road

Man all in a nut shell. Sorry to hear and witness first hand send me a PM dude I was there a couple of tymes when shit was going wrong on your car. I tried to give input on somethings I saw going wrong at the tyme with your car but the Garage (LOL I like that) owner and techs ignored it. Now he will try and say Im bashing him b/c of friends, but not true a VERY GOOD friend of mine was the tuner (no names mentioned). I was there to help him if needed so his part of the job will go clean with no interruptions. If I saw something shady that he missed I said something to him and those who needed to know. But hope everything goes well dude keep me informed please and if you need anything. PM me so I can give you my number I may have USEFUL info that may help you out or just something you would like to know.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:45 AM
dorifto83

dorifto83 dorifto83

wow, thanks for the heads up, and like VR-4ever said, put them out of business. Good luck to you

Quick Reply: Horrible Experience w/ Pro-Motion Tuning in VA