Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone have their car on an open trailer often? I'd like to test my truck out.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Anyone have their car on an open trailer often? I'd like to test my truck out.

Got an '04 GMC Canyon and would like to see how it pulls 4500-5000 lbs of car/trailer before investing any money in it. It's a 4x2, A4, I-5, extended cab.

The folks on Coloradofans.com are adamant that the 4000 lb tow rating is grossly underrated for emissions reasons, and that w/ some helper springs and a better trans cooler, the truck will pull 6000 lbs all day long w/ ease.

I'm planning on air helper springs and an auxilary trans cooler, but before I do that I'd like to see how it feels pulling a load around the block and/or up a hill.

Anyone care to play?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Atlantis
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis
Default Re: Anyone have their car on an open trailer often? I'd like to test my truck out.

Kevin Smith has one. Give him a call. If you need his # pm me
Old 03-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay
Default Re: Anyone have their car on an open trailer often? I'd like to test my truck out.

3500 lbs of love right here baby.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:42 PM
SpeedJunkie
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

I would think it would pull it, however it wouldn't be my first choice. I like the feeling of towing with a heavier truck.

When I was younger we use to pull our boat with a 3.0 ranger, it got the job done but not with ease. Coming up out of the slip was such a bitch.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by hondakidn06
Kevin Smith has one. Give him a call. If you need his # pm me
I've got it.... good idea. I'll go out to the shop and pull shit around.
Originally Posted by VR-4ever
3500 lbs of love right here baby.
hehe... but you don't have a trailer foolio
Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
I would think it would pull it, however it wouldn't be my first choice. I like the feeling of towing with a heavier truck.

When I was younger we use to pull our boat with a 3.0 ranger, it got the job done but not with ease. Coming up out of the slip was such a bitch.
True... but this truck is larger than a ranger and a good bit more powerful. Yes I'd rather have a 1500 to pull, but I'd rather have this truck for a DD. This thing is rated at 24 mpg highway, is fast (220 hp, 3500 lbs), and sounds cool I really only need the larger truck 3 or 4 times a year pulling to VIR... so if I can make the smaller truck work I'll be better off b/c it'll be a DD 99% of the time.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Grease Monkey
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

I'll have my hatch on an open trailer tomorrow night. It's not as heavy as your vette. but it's a pretty stout trailer.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Corey
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

What transmission? I seem to remember reading that they have the transmission as the full size trucks.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
I'll have my hatch on an open trailer tomorrow night. It's not as heavy as your vette. but it's a pretty stout trailer.
Where will you be? You at Dyno Inc?
Originally Posted by Corey
What transmission? I seem to remember reading that they have the transmission as the full size trucks.
No clue.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Corey
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
He can always pull the hatch off and put the 'vette on for a few minutes, right?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Grease Monkey
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

haha. the hatch is not running. that would be a lot of pushing. I am picking the trailer up after dinner tomorrow night. if you want to meet up your welcome to try it out before I load my car on there.

Quick Reply: Anyone have their car on an open trailer often? I'd like to test my truck out.