Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Huge problem(ka24de) need semi-experts

Old 03-21-2007, 04:37 PM
dorydorydriftin
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dorydorydriftin has disabled reputation
Huge problem(ka24de) need semi-experts

other day driving home i noticed my temp was running high,, no big deal at first,, later that day after i had put in more anti-freeze i heard a strange knocking noise comming out of the engine,, higher the rpm faster the tapping/knocking went.. Car is running ok,, in that i mean you can drive it for hours . Had a friend suggested cracked/broken rod and when i went through and pulled spark plug wires 1 then 2 and etc... The knocking stopped on the 4th plug.. So does this mean i broke/cracked a rod on the 4th cylinder ? and if so what are some alteratives to just dropping a new engine in ?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:54 PM
PSTURASNACRX
Registered Member

PSTURASNACRX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Huge problem(ka24de) need semi-experts

Whats up I got a crx and I had a sim. problem. I had a built ZC DOHC built with pistons, rings , rods, headers, port & polished......ect anyways I was driving also same thing to make a long story short one of my the cam shaft on my exhaust side snaped in half due to starvation of oil....(note) just had my oil changed 2 days before that happen my oil pump went out and fucked my whole head up so I swaped motors same price give or take in your case ether up grade and rebuild everthing or swap out engins....sorry for your luck
Old 03-21-2007, 05:20 PM
dorydorydriftin
Registered Member

ok,, ill check oil pump thanks for a suggestion or an explination.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 PM
NEO_WRX
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

I don't know alot about your motor but couldn't you drain the oil/drop the oil pan to get a better look and see if there's any noticeable damage/metal shavings in the oil pan.

If you know for sure it's rod knock it's really just a matter of time before it goes. Did you ever plan on turbo-charging the KA or eventually doing an SR swap? If so, looks like now is as good a time as any to build the motor or swap it. If you planned on just keeping things relatively stock you could probably source a KA bottom end(or even complete motor) from someone who swapped their 240. Best of luck either way.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
99CIVICFTW
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

you pulled the 4th plug and it stoped right? was the end of the spark plug smashed or pushed up? is so than it's probably your rod.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:10 PM
dorydorydriftin
Registered Member

well ya I have talked about rebuilding and turoboing the Ka, but ima have to look at the finaces haha. And na no noticable damage to the spark plug
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM
cole
ZOR - WE'RE BACK!

cole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these parts

is the motor knocking or just bucking really bad?

try replacing the plug and the wire.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Please tell us you did check your oil? Overheating engine + rod knock = classic sign that it has no oil in it!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 PM
4drgsr
BOOBS>EVERTHING!

4drgsr 4drgsr

OR DO A leak down test on all cylinders.....might be a busted head gasket...common nissan problem...i've owned two and both times...headgasket was the problem.....now they are sold and swaps were done.....
Old 03-26-2007, 11:48 AM
dorydorydriftin
Registered Member

ya oil is fine,, and i checked the oil lvl it was fine,, also checked oil for water, and gas in it no signs. Umm drove the car today car redlines a 7k and when i gave it gas i heard the engine redline at 4k so wtf?? when you pull the spark plugs individualy the car runs noticably worse, meaning that all 4 cylinders are fireing.. Drove the car today for about an hour , seems like when i change outa 2nd and 4th gear the knock is worse. So me and my dad were thinking its something rotating like a flywheel >> honeslty i have no clue whats wrong, does millenium autosports or could they run a diagnostic check ? or does someone who lives near the western branch area lend me a hand maybe , thanks to all help