Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

corolla start issues

Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 AM
vaae92
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vaae92 has disabled reputation
Default corolla start issues

i have an '88 corolla gts. i was driving it home from the shop after getting a new clutch put in, and it died on me. at first, i thought it was because the idle was too low (it was sitting right around 450-500), so i started it back up. started up fine, but died again a little while down the road. long story short, it died on me 2 more times, the second time it wouldn't start at all. my stepdad came out and we tried tinkering around with it for a while. push started it and it was running real bad. it was bogging down in 2nd gear and i had the pedal floored.

the thing that gets me is that usually, you can hear the starter turning when you try to start the car, but now there is no noise. also, the battery was at 11 amps when i push started it, when it died not even a half-mile down the road, it was at 9. i suspect the alternator, but it should be fine seeing as how i had browning's reman it for me around february.

if anyone has any advice, or can even tell me exactly where the starter is located on the car, it would be much appreciated...me and my step-dad are kinda sitting in the dark on this one.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 AM
StreetDreams
YES, i am kinda mad

StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams
Default Re: corolla start issues

check the connection of the AFM (or mass air flow sensor). make sure that the connection from the wiring harness to the afm is securly on and and tight. i had a similar prob. with my 4ag. let me know if this helps or not ill try to tell you something else to.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
vaae92
Registered Member

vaae92 has disabled reputation
Default Re: corolla start issues

i dont think it's the mass airflow, that was one of the first things i checked. my parents know a guy who's a master-mechanic for one of the toyota dealerships around here, and i gave him a call. he said the ground-wire for the trans might have come undone after they put it all back together. i'm going to try to check that, as soon as i can find out exactly where that is located...