Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Kinda simple question

Old 04-11-2007 | 07:12 AM
Yamamaha
misunderestimated

Yamamaha has disabled reputation
Default Kinda simple question

Ok, so obviously i know the leather jackets are way better than any textile jacket, but my question is, will that textile jacket hold up just as well? I mean, in an event of a crash and slide, I know the leather jackets save your ass, but how well do the textile jackets hold up with the same approved elbow and shoulder pads?

Maybe someone on here has experience with that?
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:27 AM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kinda simple question

I had a crash a few years back that illustrated for me the difference between leather and textile. Guy lost a wheelie right next to me and his bike went under mine, so we both crashed at the same time, same place, same speed. My leather jacket just had some scuffs on it, you would never have guessed it went down that hard, you would probably think I brushed a wall walking or something, other than the armor being ripped and crushed while doing its job you could wear it again no problem. His textile jacket on the other hand looked like it had been dragged underneath a car for an hour, the arm was literally ripped off and hanging on by a few threads, and it just had huge rips and tears everywhere. Now granted this is comparing a really nice Vanson leather jacket to a average or so Joe Rocket textile jacket, but still there different was so huge that it convinced me never to wear anything but leather.

Of course textile is better than nothing, but you can get leather for pretty cheap so if you can afford it its no question at all really, and in my experience a good perforated leather jacket is no hotter than a textile jacket despite people's concerns.
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:32 AM
Swampass
Registered Member

Swampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond repute

I wear textile only. It's waterproof, CE armored, and double stitched. I wear it because it's warmer than leather, lest resistant to flex, weather resistant and doesn't turn into a rock when it's 40F and colder out.

I've seen high quality textile jackets take a serious beating. Joe Rocket is on the ass end for quality in textile gear. Their leather stuff is ok, but the textile they sell is complete garbage.

The only issue with textile is increased coefficient drag on asphalt. It could increase the chances of tumble. Tumbling is bad.

I just happen to prefer textile. It's way more versatile to me and fits my riding style better.
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:34 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
I had a crash a few years back that illustrated for me the difference between leather and textile. Guy lost a wheelie right next to me and his bike went under mine, so we both crashed at the same time, same place, same speed. My leather jacket just had some scuffs on it, you would never have guessed it went down that hard, you would probably think I brushed a wall walking or something, other than the armor being ripped and crushed while doing its job you could wear it again no problem. His textile jacket on the other hand looked like it had been dragged underneath a car for an hour, the arm was literally ripped off and hanging on by a few threads, and it just had huge rips and tears everywhere. Now granted this is comparing a really nice Vanson leather jacket to a average or so Joe Rocket textile jacket, but still there different was so huge that it convinced me never to wear anything but leather.

Of course textile is better than nothing, but you can get leather for pretty cheap so if you can afford it its no question at all really, and in my experience a good perforated leather jacket is no hotter than a textile jacket despite people's concerns.

+1

textile does the job, but only once. alot of time with only minor repairs leather can be used again. i hit the ground HARD at VIR a few years ago in a cheap AGV leather suit, and even that held up well enough to be easily fixed and re-used. i own both textile and leather jackets. never hit the ground in textile, but i have seen the aftermath of those who have, and they just don't hold up like leather. textile doesn't slide like leather, it just rips apart.

Last edited by skr00zloose; 04-11-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:39 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by Swampass
I wear textile only. It's waterproof, CE armored, and double stitched. I wear it because it's warmer than leather, lest resistant to flex, weather resistant and doesn't turn into a rock when it's 40F and colder out.
i'll give you that, my textile jacket is my cold weather gear. it's definately warmer, but that's mainly b/c my leather has flex joints that let air in. never had any issues with leather stiffening in the cold though. if the leather is broken in and conditioned, shouldn't have that kind of problem.
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:39 AM
Swampass
Registered Member

Swampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, Aerostich does repairs on their textile stuff. I've seen some bad accidents with stich suits and all have been repairable.
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:40 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

aerostich suits are niiiice for textile, but pricey.
Old 04-11-2007 | 07:45 AM
Swampass
Registered Member

crazy expensive. I go the Olympia route. nice stuff, nice features, more wallet friendly.
Old 04-11-2007 | 08:00 AM
professorman
yard man

professorman has disabled reputation

I say go with perforated Leather. That is what I have. It stays cool all summer long. I have a leather/textile jacket with an inner lining that I use for winter.
Old 04-11-2007 | 08:03 AM
Yamamaha
misunderestimated

Yamamaha has disabled reputation

Excellent information. Now....

Where can i find a good leather jacket for my girl for less than $350? Anyone have any prices on what I should pay? I mean, i bought my jacket for 350...but i just really want to see if i can find another one just as good for less.

Quick Reply: Kinda simple question