Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Why is it so freaking windy?

Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Why is it so freaking windy?

I don't remember the wind EVER being so strong when I was a kid. It seems like the world is changing in a bad way as I get older, and of course that's completely true... Regardless, this wind is pissing me off!!! I'm not sure what triggers it, but last night when the wind was blowing REALLY hard (and several times already this morning too) my power will cut off for about a second and then pop right back on. It's the whole neighborhood. That shit got old after the second time it did that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that hopes warm and peaceful weather is in the near future, right?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:55 AM
TheLittleRedSRT
i <3 my neon

TheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why is it so freaking windy?

its cool, i got the day off from work! Scaffolding and wind dont mix
Old 04-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Yeah. No power at our house this morning. It went off while I was in the shower. Granted, I don't have a lot of hair, but I got out of the shower and it was wet. So I figured I'd just deal with it, and got dressed to go to work. Got outside and I felt like my head froze instantly...
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 AM
....AJ....
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....

Yea we had to slow down on the bridge this morning. Pretty rough. This weather is shitty here.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

yeah i wish this snow and wind would go away as wel
Old 04-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Yeah. Where was all this snow back in December and January when we really wanted it?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

It just sucks that much more because for that week or so it was between 70-80 degrees all week, and then we get snow flurries and 30 degree weather.... and lots of high wind. Sucks sucks sucks.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Yeah. Where was all this snow back in December and January when we really wanted it?
Speak for yourself. I stopped wanting snow when I graduated high school.... Probably before that, actually. It used to be fun to play in, and to miss school for.. but now in the real world you can't miss work because of inclimate weather, or at least not at my shithole job.

I no longer enjoy snow. I would be happy with moderate weather all year round. I'm trying to figure out where the most ideal place to live would be... I'd like for it to be between 60-80 all year long. Don't really have that much of a desire for it to be hotter than 80 because it's not so appealing to have your clothing sticking to you and your body dripping sweat, but it's nice to have a nice warm sun beating down on you. I want riding weather all year around!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 AM
blah
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Why is it so windy?
Well, since wind is just the equilibrium of two different pressures and temperatures and it's been really hot, then really cold, there you go. Add into the fact that you guys in Western experience mountain breezes and valley breezes, which are due to a combination of differential heating and geometry. When the sun rises, it is the tops of the mountain peaks which receive first light, and as the day progresses, the mountain slopes take on a greater heat load than the valleys. This results in a temperature inequity between the two, and as warm air rises off the slopes, cool air moves up out of the valleys to replace it. The opposite effect takes place in the afternoon, as the valley radiates heat. The peaks, long since cooled, transport air into the valley in a process that is partly gravitational and partly convective. Add into the fact that you guys still have standing snow and the temperature difference (winds) are even stronger.

[/dropping knowledge]
I no longer enjoy snow. I would be happy with moderate weather all year round. I'm trying to figure out where the most ideal place to live would be... I'd like for it to be between 60-80 all year long. Don't really have that much of a desire for it to be hotter than 80 because it's not so appealing to have your clothing sticking to you and your body dripping sweat, but it's nice to have a nice warm sun beating down on you. I want riding weather all year around!
San Diego. It's T-shirt/shorts during the day and t-shirt/jeans at night all year round. If you can deal with the Mexicans, that's the place to be.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Speak for yourself. I stopped wanting snow when I graduated high school.... Probably before that, actually. It used to be fun to play in, and to miss school for.. but now in the real world you can't miss work because of inclimate weather, or at least not at my shithole job.

You need a better job.

And, growing up playing hockey and skiing, I much prefer the cold to the heat. But, in mid April, I think it's time to start getting warm so I can get back out on the bike...

Quick Reply: Why is it so freaking windy?