Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Best tuning shop?

Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Best tuning shop?

Hey guys,
I was just wondering if any of you knew of a reputable tuning shop in this area of VA without having to go up to NoVa. I gotta get my WRX tuned cause its just sitting in my driveway racking up insurance costs, doing nothing.

Im not really looking to get it dyno tuned - that would require me to take it to DC - but I just need to know if there are any shops closer by that could do any sort of street tune for it.

Let me know if you have any ideas,
Thanks.

Micah
Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Best tuning shop?

What kind of engine management are you using? I have used most of the aftermarket systems for the WRX and I'm pretty familiar with them. In your other thread you were talking about reflashing the ECU, which is something I'm not familiar with (and something I think is a pretty bad idea anyways) so I didn't say anything else about it.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cosmo
What kind of engine management are you using? I have used most of the aftermarket systems for the WRX and I'm pretty familiar with them. In your other thread you were talking about reflashing the ECU, which is something I'm not familiar with (and something I think is a pretty bad idea anyways) so I didn't say anything else about it.
Well I originally had software running through the Cobb AccessPORT but the AP isnt working so I figured i'd see if someone could just tune the ECU itself.

My old ECU Went out in december so we put in a new one (stock/factory tuning). Of course, the new one is running all the specs for a stock turbo, timing, etc. I basically need someone to hook up their laptop to my OBDII port and do some sort of street tune.

Im not very familiar with the tuning stuff, but I assume anyone with the right tools or know-how would be able to do it. I just havent heard from anyone around here that can do it soon, so I figured maybe some nearby shops could do it for it - though it'll be more expensive than just paying an invidual for their time.

Let me know if you think you could do it, or know how to...sounds like you may have the right equipment.

Thanks,
Micah
Old 04-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Well, I got rid of all my tuning stuff with my car. So, all I have is my laptop. But, like I said, I'm not a fan of remapping an ECU. I think it's a very bad idea on a WRX. I've never been a fan of the Access Port or whatever it is that Cobb is putting out these days.

If you decide to get a new engine management system, I'll be glad to help. I know the UTEC inside and out. Pretty familiar with a Hydra as well. Limited experience with AEM EMS, but I know enough to get it running close to right. Not that I'm saying "go out and spend some money" or anything like that. But the way the WRX ECU works, piggy-back or stand alone engine management systems are the only way to go in my opinion.

But, I have never seen positive results from an ECU reflash, so I don't mess with those.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
pearl350z
Registered Member

pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z

I made the trip up to Manassas to have mine tuned. I would suggest you do the same. It took me 3 hrs to get there, but it's well worth it in my opinion to have your car correctly and safely tuned. They dyno tuned and street tuned my car for a pretty decent price. There are actually 2 shops there side by side, one specializing in 350z's and the other in Evo/Wrx's; then they share the dyno for tuning. The name of the one shop has slipped my mind, but the Z shop is called Function Tuned. I can get you in touch with the right guys if you decide to go that route.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by pearl350z
I made the trip up to Manassas to have mine tuned. I would suggest you do the same. It took me 3 hrs to get there, but it's well worth it in my opinion to have your car correctly and safely tuned. They dyno tuned and street tuned my car for a pretty decent price. There are actually 2 shops there side by side, one specializing in 350z's and the other in Evo/Wrx's; then they share the dyno for tuning. The name of the one shop has slipped my mind, but the Z shop is called Function Tuned. I can get you in touch with the right guys if you decide to go that route.
I'm looking forward to seeing your car again! You totally happy with the new setup?
Old 04-24-2007, 02:39 PM
pearl350z
Registered Member

pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
I'm looking forward to seeing your car again! You totally happy with the new setup?
Absolutely happy. Just need the A/C fixed before it gets real hot as I have a leak somewhere! It will definately fulfill my power needs, for a while anyway. I'm still excited to see what it will do once I lose my traction problem.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM
SAVAGE
Banned

SAVAGE has disabled reputation

I have all the softwear to flash your stock ecu and able to tune as well
Hybrid-Garage
540-368-0030
ask for jon
Old 04-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Originally Posted by SAVAGE
Hybrid-Garage
540-368-0030
ask for jon
Sounds good, i'll give you guys a call soon. Where exactly are you located and would I need to set up an appointment?

Thanks,
Micah
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by SAVAGE
Hybrid-Garage
540-368-0030
ask for jon

i hope you are able to speel too.

Quick Reply: Best tuning shop?