Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need a lift!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Need a lift!

Does anyone here have access to a good lift?

A couple buddies and I are going to install my straight downpipes in the next week or two and I really dont want to attempt the job without a lift.

I've heard of some people doing the swap on jackstands but I hear it takes several more hours, broken backs, 1000 curse words, and many more beers.

But all that aside, just wondering if any of you guys have and would be willing to let us use your lift for several hours while we try to tackle this tedious job.

Thanks - lemme know,
Micah
Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: Need a lift!

Please, don't do any serious work underneath the car when it's on jackstands.... if for no other reason than what happened to big Dave (MyClone)
Old 04-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Please, don't do any serious work underneath the car when it's on jackstands.... if for no other reason than what happened to big Dave (MyClone)
Exactly, I dont want to risk anything like that, hence why im trying to see if I can use someones lift for an afternoon or so. That would be much safer.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by Heiss M3
Exactly, I dont want to risk anything like that, hence why im trying to see if I can use someones lift for an afternoon or so. That would be much safer.
Why don't you just get a couple good ol' boys and a few cases of beer and have them hold the car up for you?

Have you considered ramps if you can't score a lift? I may have access to a lift but I hate to abuse that source.

Last edited by VanillaThrilla; 04-25-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Why don't you just get a couple good ol' boys and a few cases of beer and have them hold the car up for you?

Have you considered ramps if you can't score a lift? I may have access to a lift but I hate to abuse that source.
We could probly do ramps, i'd need ramps with a low degree of incline because my car is dropped so much haha. The ones at Advanced Auto are too steep to clear my bumper .

Anyways, thats a good idea, maybe we can get a good set of ramps and work like that.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:32 AM
cootees
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

I don't have access to a lift right now.. but I should have a 2 post towards the end of the year. It won't help you right now though.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Heiss M3
Capitalist Pig

Originally Posted by cootees
I don't have access to a lift right now.. but I should have a 2 post towards the end of the year. It won't help you right now though.
Ohwell haha. Will u have a permanent 2 post or are you just renting/borrowing it?

If you'll own it, and have it for a while, I may need it later on when it comes time to pull my motor and get the bigger turbos in.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

yet another time to be a dick...but from what i gathered, they were not on a sturdy surface.

jackstands are perfectly fine if they are used correctly, however, i personally have known three people to be killed by what they were working on when the stands collapsed. all instances they took a shortcut that normally wouldnt have happened, and poof.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by fc735
yet another time to be a dick...but from what i gathered, they were not on a sturdy surface.

jackstands are perfectly fine if they are used correctly, however, i personally have known three people to be killed by what they were working on when the stands collapsed. all instances they took a shortcut that normally wouldnt have happened, and poof.
I personally find that to be irrelevant. It's an unnecessary risk that can be prevented IMHO by not using them to do heavy work.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by fc735
jackstands are perfectly fine if they are used correctly
I agree... you just have to know how to use them and not cut corners. Lifts can fail too.

What happened to "big dave"?

Quick Reply: Need a lift!