Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Japan Drifting

Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 AM
joblow
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joblow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Japan Drifting

ok. i am moving to japan later thi year and have some questions. first, i have heard that it is always faster to do grip, but out in Japan all i ever hear about is drifting. i know if you use the e-brake than you are just slowing youself down, there are other ways to initiaate a drift, but can drifting actually be faster than grip on the extremely tight and twisty mountains out there? there has to be more to drifting than just a show event.

Last edited by joblow; 04-25-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 AM
WishIHadaSilvia
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia
Default Re: Japan Drifting

I am pretty sure they drift there for fun, because that is the type of driving a lot of people enjoy. There are also highspeed street races, and organized drag races. Tracks are everywhere and track time appears to be cheap. Check out www.ZeroYon.com.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 AM
joblow
Banned

i have also yet to find the car modification laws in japan, and how well they are enforced etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:26 AM
sethmo
Registered Member

sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo

E-braking is not the fastest way to drift. You want to initiate the drift with the cars inertia which is called the scandinavian flick. You basically just turn away from the corner then countersteer back towards the corner so the weight of the vehicle pushes you into a drift. E-braking would be the easiest way to initiate and control a drift.

But grip > drift anyway :P
Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 PM
WishIHadaSilvia
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Originally Posted by joblow
i have also yet to find the car modification laws in japan, and how well they are enforced etc.
I don't think they have any.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 PM
StreetDreams
YES, i am kinda mad

StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams StreetDreams

yea drifting isnt about being fast its for fun, style, and show. clutch kicking would be maybe the fastest way to drift? what part of japan are you moving to?
Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 PM
joblow
Banned

hopefully Shinjuku, Tokyo
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
vaae92
Registered Member

vaae92 has disabled reputation

there are 6 basic ways to drift. 3 of which require a dynamic shift in weight. 3 of which do not. the 3 that do not are e-brake (also called side-breaking in japan), power-over, and clutch-kicking (also called shift-lock in japan). the 3 that do require a dynamic shift in weight are feint (some of you call it a scandinavian flick), breaking drift, and lift-off (also called accel. off in japan).

if you're show-drifting, feint and e-brake are the most popular, because they don't require the driver to be as skilled in his clutch/brake/accelerator control. usually if someone's racing the touge, they're doing breaking drift, if they drift at all. they do what's called a high-speed drift, which is using minimal oversteer to keep the car at a higher speed when you reach the clipping point (apex), which allows for faster entry and exit speeds.

clutch-kicking is just stupid because it will screw up your transmission quicker than anything. trannies just aren't made to handle that much torque.

if i were you, i'd seriously invest a lot of money in the track. a lot of people in america think they can go over to japan and race on the mountains without worrying about anything, but they don't realize that most of the touge racers over there have been driving for years.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:18 PM
NsMoBoy
i7 @ 5GHz <3

NsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joblow
hopefully Shinjuku, Tokyo
When you get there, pics please!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:28 PM
joblow
Banned

i dont have a camera, but ill buy a disposable one

Quick Reply: Japan Drifting