Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Decal removal

Old 07-04-2007, 02:53 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Decal removal

Ok, so I peeled the decals from the side of my bike today (the black wing stripes), and I love the look. However, the decals on the tank are clearcoated over from the factory. Is there anyway to get ridof the clear, remove the decals, and reclear without doing damage to the paint?
Old 07-04-2007, 03:16 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Decal removal

nope

i've seen people cut the clear with a sharp razor blade, but i wouldn't recommend it.

it's easier to just get some colored vinyl that matches the rest of the tank and cover over the stickers on the tank.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:32 PM
zx636skiv

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

If you cut the clear carefully around the sticker, you will be able to remove it. Depending on how good you are with bodywork and such is if you want to do this or not. You will need to sand the ridges with something like 1500 grit wet or dry sandpaper...do it wet. This will need to be done carefully and a little at a time...you don't want to cut it all the way down. After it is smoother, you will have lost your shine. You can then buff it out with a polishing compound, then put a good wax over it...should bring the shine back. Caution though...this can also be a good way to mess up your pretty paint job if you aren't careful!!

Another options is to repaint and clear the tank after removing the stickers.

And a third is to leave it alone...still says Kawasaki on my bike but nothing else...and I concider myself handy with the detailing thingy!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM
j4k3
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

I wouldn't do it. No sense in fucking up a good paintjob.

nice 3 posts.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:01 PM
s2k7

s2k7 has disabled reputation

No you can't. You can remove the sticker yes, but you'll always see a line where the clear was around the sticker. You CANT wetsane a line out. You can make it look somewhat better, but it'll always be noticable and looks like shit.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

Appreciate the info. I'll look into just getting the tank resprayed.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Real Random
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

i am glad my bike did not have those gawd awful wings
Old 07-04-2007, 06:37 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Yeah.. I'm jealous.

It looks so much cleaner without them. Now I just need to find where to get the taillight with the intergrated turn signals, so I can get rid of that god awful dangling plate thing.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Need 2 B Lower
Mini Trucker.

Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower

Originally Posted by jdavis
It looks so much cleaner without them. Now I just need to find where to get the taillight with the intergrated turn signals, so I can get rid of that god awful dangling plate thing.
Your lucky day.

http://www.clearalternatives.com/

Me and a couple buddies of mine have their lights and the quality is great. Nice and bright.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Need 2 B Lower
Mini Trucker.

Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower

What bike do you have btw? I have a plate bracket that does not fit my undertail, looking to sell it...

Quick Reply: Decal removal