Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Sheared bolt on an aluminum head, where to go?

Old 07-07-2007, 03:46 PM
BadBlackZ28
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BadBlackZ28 has disabled reputation
Default Sheared bolt on an aluminum head, where to go?

I was replacing the head gasket on a 98 Rodeo 4 banger when two of the exhaust manifold bolts sheared off. It kills me too, because it took hardly any force to do it.. The first one sheared off and I was like "Ok, time to be super careful.." and then the next one basically fell off in my hand.

Anyway, the head is aluminum, and the part of the bolts that are still in the head are near even with the surface of the head. Do any of you know where I could take this head to to get the bolts removed?? While I am at it, I was going to go ahead and get the cams reground (some surface rust happened after the bolts shearing, since the whole lot has been sitting) and the head itself prepped.

Also, a ball park of what it should cost would be great. It has been many moons since I have been to a machine shop.. don't want to get hosed on the deal.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:11 PM
cole
ZOR - WE'RE BACK!

cole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Sheared bolt on an aluminum head, where to go?

Barnette's Machie Shop in d-town norfolk.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM
BadBlackZ28
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow morning.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Shaminii
My dick is tan.

Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii Shaminii

I once had a bolt stuck in my head. I bought a tap and drill set to get it out and it worked fine. If you want the best bet, get a drill bit that can drill in going counter clockwise. The counter clockwise part is important because if your bit some some how gets sorta stucking in the bolt while drilling (good thing), it'll rotate the bolt w/ it to the left and therefore take it out. If that didn't work, at least you got a hole and just use the tap and hammer it in and twist out the bolt. Make sure to use plenty of PB Blaster. PB Blaster = life saver! There are some good sites out there that will tell you how to solve this problem if you search on Google.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 AM
BadBlackZ28
Registered Member

Thanks Sham, but I already dropped the head off. The guy qouted me $350 for the bolt removal and full prep of the head. Worked for me! Hope to pick it up in a day or two.. Thanks for the good info though!