Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Movie Gallery Closing

Old 09-27-2007 | 09:49 AM
Real Random
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random
Default Movie Gallery Closing

Just found this in the dailypress.com, think i am going to buy a couple of movies today.

Eight Hampton Roads Movie Gallery video rental stores will soon close, casualties in a company-wide cost-cutting and restructuring effort.

Movie Gallery, Inc., based in Dothan, Ala., announced Tuesday it was closing about 520 of its 4500 shops that operate nationally under the Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video names. The company cited "financial and industry challenges" and said it would focus on about 4,000 stores that have stronger performances and better prospects for growth.

The stores will hold liquidation sales today, a spokeswoman said. The hours are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Video rental stores have battled increasing competition from online video rental businesses as well as cable and satellite television services that make it possible for customers to get movies without leaving home.

Many new-to-video releases are available on-demand via cable or satellite.

Angela Smith, manager of the Newport News store and an employee for two years, said she had noticed more people seem to be staying home to watch movies that are available on demand via cable.

"I've noticed that lately, they come out on television and in stores the same day," she said.

Smith said she's not sure what she will do for work after her job with Movie Gallery is gone.

Area Movie Gallery stores slated for closure are:

• 4994C Mercury Blvd., Newport News

• 7479 Hargett Blvd., Gloucester

• 4740 George Washington Memorial Highway, Yorktown

• 1008A Portsmouth Blvd., Suffolk

• 6465 College Park Square, 5300 Kemps River Road, 3420 Virginia Beach Blvd., and 2005 Lynnhaven Parkway, Virginia Beach

Old 09-27-2007 | 10:02 AM
p-stone
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone
Default Re: Movie Gallery Closing

I'll live

But good idea on the movies, I'm going to ride up there in a few minutes to see what prices are like.
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:07 AM
CavemanRacing
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

post prices when you get back. I may check this out after work
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:09 AM
Real Random
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

hopefully they have the office or smallville box sets
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:15 AM
Royalty
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty

i'm down for hitting the one in teh beach.

Prices please
Old 09-28-2007 | 04:45 AM
Real Random
Registered member

anyone check into this?
i was busy yesterday and forgot to go
Old 09-28-2007 | 08:19 PM
heisrvd

heisrvd has disabled reputation

went by after work tonight to the one on Kempsville. EVERYTHING in the store is for sale. They have a lot of crappy movies but quite a few good ones left too. I got 5 movies for $30. Pretty good deal i think. I'd recommend stopping by.
Old 09-29-2007 | 09:06 AM
Vanilla Face
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face

I had a friend that went and bought movies at the one in yorktown (I think they were 90% off) He took them to FYI and made about $300
Old 09-29-2007 | 10:48 AM
p-stone
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

The one in College Park hasn't marked their stuff down too much yet. All the new movies are 20% off which brings its from $14.99 to $11.99. I mean thats a decent price for a new movie but not enough for me to buy any right now.

She said they would be open until the end of October or until they sold out, whichever comes first.
Old 09-29-2007 | 11:08 AM
2-D
Formerly Suicide.

2-D 2-D 2-D 2-D 2-D 2-D 2-D 2-D 2-D 2-D 2-D

what the fuck is FYI?did he mean FYE?

Quick Reply: Movie Gallery Closing