Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

HANDGUN LAWS in va?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
b18c195
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b18c195 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HANDGUN LAWS in va?

sup guys

well my question is what are the handgun laws in virginia? Are you able to carry one on you? as far as i knew i dont think you need a permit to carry a handgun in Virginia.

Someone correct me please. Or any info on it?

What about if u have it in the trunk of you vehicle unloaded?

I been going to the local gun range lately one in chantilly near the expo center. I just was curious in case i get pulled over am i legally able to have one on me if its in the trunk

thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
lYellowDragonl
Registered Member

lYellowDragonl has disabled reputation
Default Re: HANDGUN LAWS in va?

rifles you do not need a permit but hand guns yes

and from what i understand as long as its not loaded and unreachable from inside your car you should be fine
Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Richter
<for rent>

Richter has disabled reputation

you can legaly open carry in virginia, in certain places. concealed you must have a CCW permit.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

Originally Posted by b18c195
sup guys

well my question is what are the handgun laws in virginia? Are you able to carry one on you? as far as i knew i dont think you need a permit to carry a handgun in Virginia.

Someone correct me please. Or any info on it?

What about if u have it in the trunk of you vehicle unloaded?

I been going to the local gun range lately one in chantilly near the expo center. I just was curious in case i get pulled over am i legally able to have one on me if its in the trunk

thanks in advance.
has to be in the trunk unloaded, bullets and magazine has to be in the glove box
Old 01-08-2008, 06:49 AM
whiteWRXtasy
Registered member

whiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these partswhiteWRXtasy is infamous around these parts

As long as you are just transporting to and from the gun range you should have no problems. Now if you're not and you just have your pistol in your trunk that might be seen as concealing without a permit. Just my .02
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by whiteWRXtasy
As long as you are just transporting to and from the gun range you should have no problems. Now if you're not and you just have your pistol in your trunk that might be seen as concealing without a permit. Just my .02
Fail. Get a refund.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Jason300zxTT
Registered member

Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT

EFB16A will know this. He knows ALOT about gun's/laws
Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Kaedenky
Zoom Zoom

Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky

Virginia is open carry with no permit, but be prepared to explain yourself if you are wandering around carrying it open in public. Legally you can open carry anywhere except churches, schools and banks. Federal buildings and Court houses also do not allow weapons. Funny is you can carry into a police station legally, but I wouldn't attempt it. You are also not allowed to open carry into any private property if the owner says you may not.

Concealed carry is permit only, but Virginia is a shall permit state. Meaning if you apply and you don't have a criminal history or protective orders against you you will get one. You do have to take some sort of gun safety class. Most gun shops will offer something for 50 to 100 bucks. Concealed carry has the same exceptions as open carry, but you also may not conceal in any establishment that sells alcohol. You can legall open carry, meaning if you go into olive garden you are supposed to unconceal your weapon before you enter. Problem is most places like this will ask you to leave once they see you with an open carry weapon.

Otherwise, transportation without a a concealed weapon permit requires it to be unloaded and unaccessable to you. Most suggest gun in trunk and ammo in glove box, but anything that clearly shows a separation will be fine. That or don't be a dick to cops and get your car searched. Overall, if you are going to be handling weapons often and transporting them getting a ccw is worth not getting hasseled over your weapons.

Since you live in Northern Va, you should also know that DC and Maryland are no guns no reciprocity. They do not recognize your va ccw or anyones for that matter. Do not take your weapon there unless you really like jail time.

Last edited by Kaedenky; 01-08-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 AM
supranite90
Pizza Delivery Guy

supranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these parts

i have a question that goes along with this...if you are in the military, are you allowed to legally carry concealed weapons w/ your military id?

Quick Reply: HANDGUN LAWS in va?