Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

simple question about turbos.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 AM
del_sol_t00nR
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
del_sol_t00nR has disabled reputation
Default simple question about turbos.

So I understand that turbos have oil lines and waterlines. I've seen turbo radiators, but is this always necessary, or can they be routed through the regular radiator? And where exactly do the oil lines go - somehow routed through the engine oil system, or do they have their own system?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:14 AM
1slowxr4ti
Registered Member

1slowxr4ti has disabled reputation
Default Re: simple question about turbos.

no, you cant run through the stock rad. Its called "Intercooler" it cools the air coming off the turbo, Cold air = more power. Some cars dont have an intercooler from the factory like my xr4ti but it helps alot if you add one. and it would be dumb to turbo a car and not put an intercooler on.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Archer
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Originally Posted by del_sol_t00nR
So I understand that turbos have oil lines and waterlines. I've seen turbo radiators, but is this always necessary, or can they be routed through the regular radiator? And where exactly do the oil lines go - somehow routed through the engine oil system, or do they have their own system?

Thanks.
You're going to end up tapping into your engine oil system to lubricate the turbo.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 AM
NEO_WRX
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

When my first put a turbo on his civic he had to tap his oil pan to run the oil feed line to the turbo.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by del_sol_t00nR

Thanks.
Not all turbos have water lines, but the water cooling helps the bearings stay cooler makes them last longer. Most stock turbos will have water lines for that reason, and most good aftermarket turbos do too. Turbos need to tap off of the engine oil system, else you'll have to add a oil pump, oil cooler, and tank for the turbo. There really isn't any need to do this just to lubricate the turbo, and the amount of heat added into the oil is a very small fraction of what the engine produces anyway.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-16-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 PM
VTDr0p0ut
JDM AS FAK

VTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud of

Most "turbo radiators" are smaller/more effecient radiators that are meant to move the stock radiator out of it's current position to make way for an intercooler. They aren't 100% required as the stock radiator can sit behind most intercoolers and be "OK," but they're definitely not a bad idea.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:18 PM
tie fitr
Full Retard

tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr

Originally Posted by NEO_WRX
When my first put a turbo on his civic he had to tap his oil pan to run the oil feed line to the turbo.
I think that would be the return.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:09 PM
g S x
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

yea hondas tap into the oil pressure switch at the back of the block and return to the pan
Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 AM
parsons_04
Registered Member

parsons_04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1slowxr4ti
no, you cant run through the stock rad. Its called "Intercooler" it cools the air coming off the turbo, Cold air = more power. Some cars dont have an intercooler from the factory like my xr4ti but it helps alot if you add one. and it would be dumb to turbo a car and not put an intercooler on.
i dont think you are talking about the same thing he is. he is talking about the oil lines and cooling lines off the turbo. you are talking about the in and out of the acual air. some people get the sandwitch plate that screws on the oil filter. that is a good idea. i never turboed anything but yeah
Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 AM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Simple answers:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html

this is how to install it. Read it all, you shouldn't have to come back for answers, if you do I will be disappointed! If you get a turbo kit and still need help, I wouldn't mind lending a hand. I've done several.

http://turboneticsownersclub.com/tur...civinstall.pdf

Quick Reply: simple question about turbos.