Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Flat spots on VTEC lobe of intake cam?

Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
will_rex
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flat spots on VTEC lobe of intake cam?

I recently picked up a car and when I pulled the head off, I noticed that #2 & 3 cylinder VTEC lobs of the intake cam had flat spots on them. Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what could have caused that. The intake cam was CTR, the valve springs are aftermarket (don't know what brand) and titanium retainers. I hate to install my new skunk2's if something in the head could have caused the problem.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Flat spots on VTEC lobe of intake cam?

Maybe too much spring pressure and not enough lubrication, possibly also incorrect valve adjustment. Aftermarket springs can sometimes wear cams faster just because they're really stiff.