Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Question for paint/bodywork people...

Old 05-25-2008, 06:47 AM
IRR0MPIBLE
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation
Default Question for paint/bodywork people...

So I hit a deer with my Si last weekend and I need some help figuring out the steps to take to fix it. I thought it would be as simple as getting a new lip and bumper from honda, but now I'm realizing that the bumper may not come already painted like the lip does. And that's where my question comes in. The bumper will obviously need to be painted, and from what I know, or have been told, anyway, it needs to be put on the car unpainted and then blended so that it won't be a slightly different color from the rest of the car. So, I can have that done, no biggie, but then the lip needs to go on still. Will that need to be blended to match the bumper now? Would those be the correct steps to take in fixing everything? Any help is appreciated.

Pics of the damage are here:
https://www.vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237911

Last edited by IRR0MPIBLE; 05-25-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:18 PM
IRR0MPIBLE
Registered Member

Default Re: Question for paint/bodywork people...

30 views and no one can answer this?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:25 PM
elambz
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

I find it crazy you'd have to blend brand new paint. I thought blending was to match brand new paint to aged paint.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:35 PM
IRR0MPIBLE
Registered Member

That's what I thought, but when I stopped by London Bridge body shop to get a quote on painting my wingless trunk lid, they told me that even though the car is new, the paint can vary to an extent. I mean, that's just one man's opinion at one shop, maybe it's not completely accurate. I would have just gone to a shop to ask the question I posted, but I really don't have the free time to do it...
Old 05-25-2008, 02:39 PM
elambz
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Ricky painted my spoiler, and you can't see a difference in the paint, and thats on a 10yo paint job.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

i own affordable automotive and i would attach the lip and paint the bumper and wet sand and blend the lip and also blend both fenders...all at the same time so it will match perfectly...a lot of people and thats me included could paint just the bumper and it will match preety damn close...but at the same time if its off a shade then 1the customers not happyand 2 im going to have to redo and blend the fenders,,,so itys easier just to blend in the first place...
Old 05-25-2008, 03:10 PM
jpick_aap_cpp
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

^ sounds good

Last edited by jpick_aap_cpp; 05-25-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Brock Obama
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

If it was me, I'd have everything painted/blended at once. It's a brand new car and if you're anything like me, a shade variation will cause you to lose sleep at night. And if everything isn't painted/blended at the same time, you WILL have a variation.

Last edited by Brock Obama; 05-25-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:42 PM
IRR0MPIBLE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nftuatn
i own affordable automotive and i would attach the lip and paint the bumper and wet sand and blend the lip and also blend both fenders...all at the same time so it will match perfectly...a lot of people and thats me included could paint just the bumper and it will match preety damn close...but at the same time if its off a shade then 1the customers not happyand 2 im going to have to redo and blend the fenders,,,so itys easier just to blend in the first place...
When you say you would attach the lip to the bumper, you mean you would do this before or after the bumper is painted? I would assume after, since attaching it and then painting the bumper would leave the area under the lip unpainted...I'm not trying to correct you, just want to make sure I'm understanding right. Since the fenders will need to be blended, does that mean the entire fenders will need to be painted? Thank you for posting, by the way...it's much appreciated.

Originally Posted by XCELR8
If it was me, I'd have everything painted/blended at once. It's a brand new car and if you're anything like me, a shade variation will cause you to lose sleep at night. And if everything is painted/blended at the same time, you WILL have a variation.
You're right. I'm thinking I'll just have it all done at once, because like yourself, a slight variation will drive me absolutely insane.

Last edited by IRR0MPIBLE; 05-25-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Brock Obama
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by UNBRE4K4BLE
You're right. I'm thinking I'll just have it all done at once, because like yourself, a slight variation will drive me absolutely insane.
I just realized I made a pretty critical typo. Re-read my post so we're on the same page.

Quick Reply: Question for paint/bodywork people...