Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

who here has a '00-'02 Trans Am?

Old 06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
3Point5SE
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE
Default who here has a '00-'02 Trans Am?

I'm planing on buying one in the winter and I want to know the pros and cons of having one....
Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM
ritz
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz
Default Re: who here has a '00-'02 Trans Am?

I don't own one, but I did.

Pros:
- Great platform
- Make great power with minimal bolt-ons. You can see anywhere from 330-340RWHP with a lid and full exhaust
- Handle pretty decent in stock form and with a good spring/shock combo along with bigger swaybars they'll handle very nicely
- The ergonomics are fantastic. It has a true sports car feel when it's more of a "muscle" car. Your ass is on the floor and if you put your arm on the armrest the shifter is perfectly level with your hand

Cons:
- The stock 10 bolt can break on stock tires. I beat mine up with no problems, but they're ticking time bombs
- They're heavy, but they've never been light. I mean if you're just driving it around the weight is fine.
- Some people complain about the long windshield. I never had a problem.

I'm trying to think of others, but I can't right now. I tried to think of any problems I had with mine and I never had any. The prices fluctuate like a son of a bitch. Don't hop on one right way. Definitely shop around. It's gonna be hard to find a stock one.

Good luck.

Last edited by ritz; 06-04-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
travisnd
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

pretty much was Joe said.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:17 PM
3Point5SE
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE

Originally Posted by ritz
I don't own one, but I did.

Pros:
- Great platform
- Make great power with minimal bolt-ons. You can see anywhere from 330-340RWHP with a lid and full exhaust
- Handle pretty decent in stock form and with a good spring/shock combo along with bigger swaybars they'll handle very nicely
- The ergonomics are fantastic. It has a true sports car feel when it's more of a "muscle" car. Your ass is on the floor and if you put your arm on the armrest the shifter is perfectly level with your hand

Cons:
- The stock 10 bolt can break on stock tires. I beat mine up with no problems, but they're ticking time bombs
- They're heavy, but they've never been light. I mean if you're just driving it around the weight is fine.
- Some people complain about the long windshield. I never had a problem.

I'm trying to think of others, but I can't right now. I tried to think of any problems I had with mine and I never had any. The prices fluctuate like a son of a bitch. Don't hop on one right way. Definitely shop around. It's gonna be hard to find a stock one.

Good luck.
thanks for the info. I'm going to be patient on finding a good one. I'm going to take my time. Enjoy my POS car and when i find the right one I'll see what I'll do.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
BCisme
Poop Ban-nana owns U

BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme

I agree with Joe for the most part, throw in a cam and some head/valvetrain work and 400 rwhp is easily reachable. but the same thing I always tell people who are interested in them:

I've owned 5 F-bodies and know several people who have/ have had them. a kid from work has had a 96 for about 2 months and has spent $2500 in repairs on misc items around the car. i spent about that much on the 2 months i had my 97. the drivetrain will run forever, but be prepared to spend money on stupid repairs left and right as the car gets older.

i could go on about the problems i had and the many i've seen over and over, but if you don't mind keeping up with the car they aren't too bad.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
2JZ JC
show no mercy

2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC 2JZ JC

Originally Posted by travisnd
pretty much was Joe said.
pretty much what travis said joe said.....
Old 06-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Brock Obama
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Any LS1 F-body is a pretty stout car. Their weakest links are their rear-ends.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:02 AM
Beach Cruiser
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

I have a 2000 WS6. All of the above are accurate. Try and find a WS6 or SS model with a 6 speed if you can. They are holding thier value fairly well, plus the platform is already stout. Shocks, Springs and Bars can make a big difference, and the LS1 is easy to get power out of. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, I love it. It's great on gas (relative) on the highway, and very comfortable on long trips. Not too good for carrying passengers in the back seat, so if you have kids make sure thier small ones.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Nigerian Hair
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

to the OP : I remember when you were thinking about getting a V6. Please dont. if you are going to get one,get an LS1,or LT1 atleast,but id go against the lt1.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 AM
travisnd
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

Originally Posted by Murda'dOut4V
to the OP : I remember when you were thinking about getting a V6. Please dont. if you are going to get one,get an LS1,or LT1 atleast,but id go against the lt1.
I agree as far as I would defintely make sure its a LS1 vs a LT1. Though the aftermarket is big for both applications, the LS1 is more fun! And if you do get a A4, just throw a stall in it and be done with it!

Quick Reply: who here has a '00-'02 Trans Am?