Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

400 bucks for new tires installed? Really???

Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 AM
NoRider
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoRider has disabled reputation
Default 400 bucks for new tires installed? Really???

I'm thinking of getting a 96 Katana, but it needs new tires. I called up a cycle shop and they quoted me around 380 for new tires and install... This just seems like a huge rip off to me. Is this normal, and if so, is there a way to do it at home?? Sorry if this question has been asked before, just trying to get on a bike lol.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:05 AM
j4k3
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default Re: 400 bucks for new tires installed? Really???

What kind of tires? That sounds like some good shit.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
cobra671
Old N Slow :D

cobra671 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

What shop was this? So the rest of us can steer clear of them, for tires at least.

Considering that quote was for a 120/180 combo.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Johnny Bravo
DayCrew© Dude

Johnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...cle-Tires.aspx

??
Old 06-13-2008, 10:03 AM
CRXtacy
Pro

CRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to all

My pilot power 2ct's were like $380 installed last year. but you can get a cheaper brand for less i'm sure. also its cheaper if you take the rims off of the bike yourself. i didn't have 2 stands so i just paid the extra money for the shop to do it.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:07 AM
CRXtacy
Pro

CRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to allCRXtacy is a name known to all

$380 doesn't sound bad really $157 for rear and $130 for front= $287 plus shipping($30 or so), gas to drive to the shop in your car to drop off and then back to pick up plus the hassle of taking them off yourself. I can work on my own stuff, but its just easier to let the shop do the tires in my opinion.

Bryan
Old 06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
tundrafiend01
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road

You can save yourself some money pulling the wheels and taking them in to get the new rubber put on. Otherwise, the price sounds about right...300 for tires, $80 for labor to pull the wheels, install new rubber, and reinstall wheels...

Originally Posted by CRXtacy
$380 doesn't sound bad really $157 for rear and $130 for front= $287 plus shipping($30 or so), gas to drive to the shop in your car to drop off and then back to pick up plus the hassle of taking them off yourself. I can work on my own stuff, but its just easier to let the shop do the tires in my opinion.

Bryan
Don't forget labor and extra fee for changing tires not purchased at the shop. At cyclegear, its about 45 per wheel if you don't purchase the tires there...

Last edited by tundrafiend01; 06-13-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 AM
NoRider
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

I asked for install with the cheapest tires, and thats what they said! Ok so if I take the rims off myself, AND bring the tires, what am I looking at? 100 bucks?
Second question, where can I find the cheapest tires? I don't even care if they are used, as long as they are safe.
Third question. this will be my second bike, but I didn't get much time on my first bike before it broke so you guys think a 96 Katana 600 will be good?
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 AM
LShatch59
Registered member

LShatch59 has disabled reputation

also i have a tire changer at my house i change my bike tires with all the time saves alot of money
Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 AM
TheGentleArt
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt

Originally Posted by NoRider
I asked for install with the cheapest tires, and thats what they said! Ok so if I take the rims off myself, AND bring the tires, what am I looking at? 100 bucks?
Second question, where can I find the cheapest tires? I don't even care if they are used, as long as they are safe.
Third question. this will be my second bike, but I didn't get much time on my first bike before it broke so you guys think a 96 Katana 600 will be good?
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
No, the tire by its self with out the install just for the rear will run you about 100. Katana's that rear have are 120/150, call up EMC you could probably get it done for at least 100 cheaper then that place qouted you. I had a 160 (my kat was an 05) rear put on at EMC and i want to say it was like 140-150 installed?? and front tires are cheaper. Just dont go for the absolute cheapest tire, keep in mind its whats keeping you off the ground.

Quick Reply: 400 bucks for new tires installed? Really???