Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Inspection with FlushMounts, etc

Old 06-24-2008, 01:02 PM
95RogueM3
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts
Default Inspection with FlushMounts, etc

Anyone know if having Flush Mount front signals and an Integrated Tail Light will pass inspection in Virginia?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi
Default Re: Inspection with FlushMounts, etc

My F3 passed with flush mounts in the front, integrated tail light I'm not too sure about, according to this site virginia motorcycle inspection calls for turn signals to be 9 inches apart. I can tell you if you go to a motorcycle shop and get it inspected they'll be more strict on something like that, but if you take to merchants or some automotive shop they may not be as strict. My roommates F3 had integrated tail light setup and he had an inspection on it so it might be alright.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:30 PM
zx636skiv

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road

Technically, flush mounts aren't DOT approved, so they shouldn't pass. Some inspectors let them because they are turnsignals. An yeah, the integrated ones in the tail light are techinally illegal for VA roads as well.

This is a commonwealth state, so if common sense tells you there is a slight chance you are doing something wrong, you probably will. BTW...a cop told me this years ago!

If you are worried about the turnsignals, take off the front ones and don't tell him about the rear ones, he will never know. Then just tell him you don't have turn signals and use hand signals...perfectly legal in VA. If you have them on the bike, they are supposed to be DOT approved and have to work...

Like I said, this is all according to the law. I have flushmounts on the front of mine and short stalks on the rear.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Quentin
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

I passed w/flush mounts before. Bike inspections are cake, got one done today, took all of 5 mins. I dont think most people know what to look for.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
chappe
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

yea... just take your bike to an automotive shop.. not a bike shop
Old 06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
95RogueM3
Registered Member

95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts

These are all awesome suggestions!

I didnt realize using hand signals was legal (its what I have been doing) but good to know that its legal.

I think Ill leave the front flushmounts and not mention the rear signals...just say that I use hand signals if asked.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

fwiw, the laws say the signals have to have a DOT stamp (most flush mounts don't) and must me minimum 8" apart (most integrated ones aren't)

BUT, it all comes down to the inspector. i used to be one. would i pass them? yeah, as long as they work. bike shops are (usually) more strict about the finer details. go to a gas station and get it inspected if you're really worried about it. most of the inspectors there don't do many bike inspections, so they're less likely to be concerned with little details, as long as everything works properly.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM
95RogueM3
Registered Member

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
fwiw, the laws say the signals have to have a DOT stamp (most flush mounts don't) and must me minimum 8" apart (most integrated ones aren't)

BUT, it all comes down to the inspector. i used to be one. would i pass them? yeah, as long as they work. bike shops are (usually) more strict about the finer details. go to a gas station and get it inspected if you're really worried about it. most of the inspectors there don't do many bike inspections, so they're less likely to be concerned with little details, as long as everything works properly.
Thanks!

I figured I would take it to the place I take my car and hope all goes well.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
These are all awesome suggestions!

I didnt realize using hand signals was legal (its what I have been doing) but good to know that its legal.

I think Ill leave the front flushmounts and not mention the rear signals...just say that I use hand signals if asked.
forgot to mention the fact that the law says if you have signals, you have to have front AND rear, not just front OR rear, and they all have to work.

i just rip em all off, cuz in VA, it's "all or nothing"
Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 AM
95RogueM3
Registered Member

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
forgot to mention the fact that the law says if you have signals, you have to have front AND rear, not just front OR rear, and they all have to work.

i just rip em all off, cuz in VA, it's "all or nothing"
Hmm...good to know.

The bike is currently 3 months out of date (I got it on Sunday). The tag is pretty much hidden on the trees right now, so thats probably why its gone unnoticed.

Is there a designated spot that the inspection sticker has to go on a bike? Or is it anywhere so long as its visible.

Quick Reply: Inspection with FlushMounts, etc