Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

AIK (counts as 'twisties' correct?)

Old 10-12-2008, 02:49 PM
nismo300zr2
Show-lo car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2
Default AIK (counts as 'twisties' correct?)

so whats the secret?!!

was there last night for a few races on the 'dragon' supertrack. I havnt been in months and i cant go all too much anyway living in NC.

pulled mid 45's, probably avg'ed 46 first time around the course with 2 SK'ers on an all day or full year pass. 2 more SKers and +5 'traffic karts', finishing 3rd

2nd race i was able to get in btw the other veterans with a 46 flat 47avg and 5 other karts, ending up 2nd.

3rd race with the same guys +6, the top 3 of us hopped into SK's and i landed first with a 44.6/45.6 avg.

NOW.... i know im far from 'good', im thinking there should probably be 42's possible in the SK's.
in the past i have seen faster drivers than me slide the kart quick and sharp right before an S section. Is mastery of that technique key to the quickest times there? When i slide the regular karts they bog down way too much and the SK's hop and lurch.

I generally grip and try to slide as little as possible, braking hard and straight before carrying smooth speed thru the S's, and trying to late apex the last section of an S to get the run on a straight.

What about trail braking? used at a small kart venue like this one?

Anyone know the record time on that course?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Tarzan Bakerada
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada
Default Re: AIK (counts as 'twisties' correct?)

Its been awhile since i have been there, but usually trail braking and using the front tires to scrub speed is a little faster. Im sure some of the dudes that work there can add some more to that. I work at motorworld, and we now have a similar track, but requires alittle more kart control because the surface isn't quite as grippy. Its still A LOT of fun and many of the aik regulars frequent our track.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

What part of NC do you live in? When I go my own rule is never hit the breaks and always take the inside of the turns.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:03 PM
vasponger
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

lawlz slow, braking is for girls
Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I<3Strippers!
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by vasponger
lawlz slow, braking is for girls
is that the chicken peddle in the middle?
Old 10-12-2008, 10:30 PM
nismo300zr2
Show-lo car

nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2

Originally Posted by Thurman
What part of NC do you live in? When I go my own rule is never hit the breaks and always take the inside of the turns.
new bern. next door to nicholas sparks.

not really.

so hows that technique workin out for ya i imagine you'd be seeing alot of blue flags just hogging/blocking the inside rather than taking a racing/faster line thru.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM
slowMR2
oh sol slow

slowMR2 is a jewel in the roughslowMR2 is a jewel in the roughslowMR2 is a jewel in the rough

i run every layout with no brake. been SK for 2 years now and every time i go i learn from watching people. i got SK by not being afraid and asking people to help me out that were SK already.

Last edited by slowMR2; 10-12-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
nismo300zr2
Show-lo car

so instead of accelerating speed all the way to the end of a straight and braking hard, you are off the throttle long before to roll/slide thru?

i can run the layouts just fine w/o brake also, but thats not what gets me my quickest times.

just mashing the gas and using braking drifts doesnt work either
Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 PM
kashimiru
Registered Member

kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru

sliding generally doesn't work out too well. The surface is course enough to provide sufficient grip to overcome the motors and just make them bog down. The light weight racers are able to pull it off but people with any substantial mass to them are going to lose speed while the light drivers race on.
It's a slightly different story with a set of drift rings on the back, but I still wasn't coming close to top speed while drifting around the track.

as for braking, some find they post better times w/o using the brake and simply letting off/coasting at the right points along the track. That first turn leading into the hairpins on The Dragon is probably the most important of the 3. Getting that sorted out will lead to better times and better passing opportunities while others fumble around with trying to figure out the correct line (or any line at all)

Last edited by kashimiru; 10-13-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
mike nagz
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

brakes are for wimps...

ill add brake to the gas a little to snatch the kart in the right direction i need to...

but its all about the line.....

i learned from following someone....
i followed sponger at first then improved where i felt the need, or where it worked, then i followed a regular once without ever looking away from his brake light on his SK....

and thats no bullshit.

my name up there was
SLIP-IT-IN-sk

Quick Reply: AIK (counts as 'twisties' correct?)